The core activities of the Committee members include:
- Recommend actions to the San Juan County Council and San Juan County Department of Environmental Stewardship
- Get hands-on experience planning and implementing marine conservation projects, (e.g. eelgrass habitat protection monitoring, Marine Stewardship Area Plan, False Bay monitoring)
- Participating in education and outreach efforts to reduce impacts of boats on whales and other marine habitats, recreational crabber education, and impacts of plastic on the marine environment with the Plastic Free Salish Sea initiative
- Oil spill prevention and derelict vessel prevention efforts
Members will be appointed to fill the two partial positions currently open and will have the opportunity to remain for an additional two four-year terms if they wish. We also anticipate two additional positions opening up in the summer of 2023. The commitment includes:
- Attending a monthly meeting on the first Thursday of every month from 9:00 am – 12:00pm. Meetings are currently virtual, with a quarterly in-person meeting.
- Attending an annual retreat of one full day (normally takes the place of November or December meeting).
- Volunteering for a minimum of 10 hours a month including attending virtual meetings, developing and reviewing documents, and optional in-person fieldwork.
To apply, submit the application found here along with a cover letter explaining your interest in volunteering along with your resume to Sam Whitridge firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is November 30, 2022 or until filled.