



**SAN JUAN COUNTY**  
**Marine Resources**  
**Committee**



## **Marine Advisory Committees**

### **MRC-CAG-LIO**

### **Meeting Agenda**

**Thursday, July 10th, 2025**  
**9:00 AM – 12:00 PM**

#### **Microsoft Teams**

**[Join the meeting now](#)**

Meeting ID: 224 695 057 192

Passcode: TY6MU3f3

#### **Dial in by phone**

**[+1 360-726-3293,,117069420#](#)** United States, Vancouver

**[Find a local number](#)**

Phone conference ID: 117 069 420#

***While this is a virtual meeting, a public meeting place is available at the Beaverton Valley Operations Center, 1609 Beaverton Valley Rd. in Friday Harbor for those without mobile phone or internet access.***

9:00 AM	<b>Convene MRC Meeting – Adam Parrott</b>
9:05 AM	<b>Public Comment</b>
9:10 AM	<b>Approve meeting agenda – All</b> <b>Approve MRC June meeting minutes – MRC Members</b>
9:15 AM	<b>NWSC Meeting Report to the MRC- Sam Whitridge</b>
9:20 AM	<b>Presentation: Harmful Algal Bloom Research in Eastsound- Emma Timmins-Schiffman, UW</b>
9:45 AM	<b>MRC Updates/Business</b> <ul style="list-style-type: none"><li>• MRC Membership Updates- <i>Sam Whitridge</i></li><li>• Update on NWSC MRC Project Funding for 2025-2027 and Contingency Planning- <i>Sam Whitridge</i></li><li>• Update on proposed MSA Outreach project- <i>Sam Whitridge</i></li><li>• NWSC Meeting in San Juans on Sept 26<sup>th</sup>- <i>Sam Whitridge</i></li><li>• MRC Chair and Vice Chair Positions- <i>Sam Whitridge</i></li><li>• OPALCO Tidal Energy Generation Project- <i>Dave Checkley and Karin Roemers-Kleven</i></li><li>• MRC subcommittee updates<ul style="list-style-type: none"><li>○ Outreach &amp; Education- <i>Katie Johnson</i></li><li>○ Plastic Free Salish Sea- <i>Karin Roemers-Kleven/Katie Johnson</i></li><li>○ Seagrass Protection- <i>Beth Tate/Katie Johnson</i></li></ul></li></ul>

	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>○ Derelict Vessel Prevention- <i>Adam Parrott/Kari Koski</i></li> <li>○ Oil Spill/ERTV-<i>Sam Whitridge</i></li> <li>● Other subcommittee updates</li> </ul>
10:25 AM	<b>Committee member updates and any other business</b>
10:30 AM	<b>Adjourn MRC Meeting</b> <b>Convene LIO Meeting</b>
10:30 AM	<b>Planning for San Juan Local Forum at August 20-21 Leadership Council Meeting-</b> <i>Katie Johnson and Sam Whitridge</i>
10:50 AM	<b>LIO Business agenda</b> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>● PSP Updates- <i>Jason Lim</i></li> <li>● Healthy Shorelines Action Plan- <i>Katie Johnson</i></li> <li>● Stormwater Strategic Initiative (SWSIL) LIO direct funding for integrated watershed management- <i>Katie Johnson</i></li> <li>● Update on upcoming 3-year contract for LIO Capacity- <i>Katie Johnson</i></li> </ul>
11:20 AM	<b>Adjourn LIO Meeting</b> <b>Convene CAG Meeting</b>
11:20 AM	<b>CAG Updates/Business-</b> <i>Sam Whitridge</i> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>● 2025 San Juan County Salmon Recovery Grant Round Updates (Funding and TAG Rankings)</li> <li>● Planning for MRC/CAG Scoring at the August 7<sup>th</sup> MRC Meeting</li> </ul>
12:00 PM	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>● <b>Adjourn CAG Meeting</b></li> </ul>

**MRC, CAG and LIO Committee Members in Attendance:** Matt Arata, David Checkley, Kailey Genther, Adam Parrott, Mike Ramsey, Karin Roemers-Kleven, Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria,

**Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public:** Paul Cline, Audrey Coyne, Gregg Dunphy, Jane Fuller, Rich Goodhart, Marta Green, Sasha Horst, William Hurley, Katie Johnson, Kari Koski, Katie Kowal, Jason Lim, Brook Nunn, Dana Oster, Frankie Robertson, Kendra Smith, Amy Sprenger, Jamie Stephens, Sonora Tate, Elaina Thompson, Emma Timmins-Schiffman, Sam Whitridge

9:02 AM **Convene MRC Meeting** *Adam Parrott*

9:03 AM **Public Comment** *none*

9:03 AM **Approve meeting agenda** *MRC Members*

Agenda approved with no additions or edits.

Approve MRC June meeting minutes: No edits, Mike moves to approve minutes, Dave seconds. Minutes approved.

9:04 AM **NWSC Meeting Report to the MRC** *Sam*

*Whitridge*

Christina attended and sent along updates, 2025-2030 strategic plan approved and it's on Commission's website

Derelict vessel return event planned for mid-July in Whatcom County in partnership with Port of Bellingham

The commission will be in SJ's for their meeting September 26, we'll talk about that in more detail later in agenda

Sasha: Our strategic plan is not on website yet but it will be soon

9:07 AM **Presentation: Harmful Algal Bloom Research in Eastsound** *Emma Timmins-Schiffman, Brook Nunn*

Brook Nunn: I'm in the Dept of Oceanography, Emma was trained in Fisheries at UW. We're doing genomic science on local fish & Bacteria. This was PhD work completed by Miranda Mudge (now looking for jobs!) There was a massive heat event a couple years ago. We're looking at phytoplankton and bacteria, interested in Harmful Algal Blooms (HAB's). Blooms are occurring more frequently and lasting longer and we've been unable to predict them. But there are many reasons to better understand these blooms for public health, better planning, etc. Microbiome (bacteria and phytoplankton) always present in the water column, it's diverse and has a fast rate of increase. We're looking at genomics (genes, or what the cell could do) up to proteomics (proteins and what the cells are doing). Informed by metabolites (i.e. dissolved chemicals) in the water. Proteins can be highly conserved. We look at peptide sequences and use mass spectrophotometry to see what bacteria are there and what they're doing. The goal is to monitor the microbiome and detect changes in peptide abundance to predict a bloom.

Fieldwork in Eastsound near hatchery Long Live the Kings, on Youngren family property, in a site with biannual HAB's. All data is open-source and available. Brook shows data from 2021, a *Chaetoceros socialis* bloom. Blooms in late May and mid-June. Before the first bloom, spikes of nutrients like silicate and nitrate, but not before the second bloom. We're analyzing pre-bloom days to identify peptides that could predict blooms, looking for the on/off switch that shows a state shift in peptide abundance. We used a Hidden Markov Model to visualize the state shift. Found 312 peptides that are in a non-reverting state shift preceding bloom initiation. Discovered 14 biomarkers that can predict blooms in the NW. they are among three different taxa of

bacteria. Each class shows state shift in bloom behavior. Next steps, looking at dissolved metabolites and water chemistry and state shifts prior to blooms. We could make a panel of biomarkers that citizen scientists could test for in water, similar to a COVID test. On August 8-10 we have an event planed on Orcas Island

QUESTIONS

Dave: I recently sampled from Lopez and got some common phytoplankton. *Pseudonitzschia* occurs in a thin layer

Brook: we expected that species and did depth profiles while sampling, *chaeto* is what bloomed in 2021. In 2022 there were different species present, a HAB of *Alexandrium*. These peptides are conserved across taxonomic groups and often with the same function. We hope peptides we identify will be present in other systems.

Katie Kowal: I'm from Jefferson MRC. You were collecting water samples every 4 hours for 22 days? How?

Brook: a team of two on shift every 12 hours. Brook describes field methods for collecting & storing samples

Kendra: what are the different processes in salt vs. fresh water?

Brook: we don't know what triggers the HABs, between bacteria and phytoplankton. There's a group of bacteria we're interested in (that feeds on saccharides produced by phytoplankton) that are present in freshwater

Jason: is one step in looking at biomarkers and toxins like domoic acid from *Pseudonitzschia*?

Brook: we want the opportunity to look at that if we catch a HAB with that species

Kendra: What might the work mean to total maximum daily load and listing water bodies?

- discussion about how information will be communicated if there are any human-generated markers showing up

Mike: what about temperature, did you take readings?

Brook: it was relatively stable throughout and didn't correlate with onset of the bloom

ACTION: Emma will send Sam a flyer about that event you have in August on Orcas, Sam can help spread the news

Greg: this work looks like it would be very helpful and informative to our community. GreggD@lumm-nsn.gov.

## 9:48 AM MRC Updates/Business

### • MRC Membership Updates

Sam Whitridge

Joey Ullman will be our new member! Unfortunately he couldn't be here today, he & Olivia are both diving And Karin is getting renewed for another term on the MRC. That's going to council for approval in the next month.

### • Update on NWSC MRC Project Funding for 2025-2027 and Contingency Planning

Sam

Whitridge

Status of funding as we move into next biennium: some funds from EPA are delayed. The amount delayed is a third of total funding for next two years' projects. We've been advised by NWSC to investigate contingencies. NWSC wants a list of priorities and contingencies by August in case full funding doesn't come through.

Sasha: some contingences for delays and some for funding that won't materialize, we'll keep you posted

Adam: will the contingency plan be available for us to read?

Sam: staff can look at it and then discuss at the August MRC meeting

-Sam reviews amounts for year one and two of NOAA and EPA funds to provide estimates of what's available

### • Update on proposed MSA Outreach project

Sam Whitridge

We submit two grants to NWSC, project information was sent out to MRC with this meeting announcement. We also have money from NOAA. For the NOAA-funded project, focus on outreach.

- NWSC Meeting in San Juans on Sept 26<sup>th</sup>

*Sam Whitridge*

This is planned for the Grange. Does anyone want to lead on a presentation? The meeting is planned for 10am-3pm, but we'll follow the ferry schedule. Let's start thinking more about what we want to highlight there

- MRC Chair and Vice Chair Positions

*Sam Whitridge*

These positions are up for reelection. If you have interest or nominations, please reach out to me or Katie

- OPALCO Tidal Energy Generation Project

*Dave Checkley and Karin Roemers-Kleven*

I met with an OPALCO board member, Jerry Whitfield, and listened to a lecture about tidal-generated energy. There's an error in the application – it says there's a single-point anchor, but Jerry says it's a double anchor-age.

The benefits in this proposal are providing a path toward energy requirements. Tides are variable but predictable. It's successful in Scotland. Risks include collision with wildlife (whales, salmon, etc.) I feel these risks are acceptable. Next is traffic with marine traffic and this risk is significant. There's only 1.6 miles between Blakely and Cypress. And the other concern is Tribes, they're writing their own comment letter(s). I think there's a diversity of opinion among the MRC on this matter and I don't know how we'll communicate about that to Council

Gregg: please share the OPALCO slides from previous meeting

Jamie: Sam, if logistically possible, it would be great to have the September NWSC presentation on site

Frankie: I just met Heather Nicholson recently at an OPALCO open house. She shared the more detailed knowledge that she has been gathering regarding energy uses in the County

Adam: do we want to write an opinion letter as a committee? I liked how Dave put together a list of pros and cons and I think it's worth bringing up that inaccuracy about the mooring point.

MOTION: Matt moves the MRC write a letter to council outlining the issues around OPALCO tide project, even if it doesn't include a recommendation, just highlining pros and cons

Karin: the deadline is Sept 30, so could we delay decision until after we hear from Heather Nicholson? She's spent a good deal of time investigating OPALCO's options. I'd like to hear her opinion

Adam: does it work to table this motion until next meeting? Matt: yes

ACTION: we'll vote on a recommendation in August after hearing from Heather

Frankie: I'd like to help contribute to the letter based on my experience with the effects of tidal turbines

Jane: so the MRC is divided following the OPALCO presentation a few months ago?

Adam: in general, it's putting something in the water that could threaten the ecosystem. We're an animal-friendly group and some of us feel the impacts aren't well understood enough

Jane: it's helpful when Council receives something that looks like a recommendation, so if not, then a full understanding of pros and cons with as much balance as possible. We're concerned about future energy needs. It's unusual to send a letter that doesn't include a recommendation, and Council will need to decide on this

Kari: we're talking about a pilot for one device. But in your discussion with OPALCO, did you talk about how many devices would be needed to provide sufficient power? It would be an array of multiple devices in multiple locations

Frankie: I suggest that as we consider this, we learn lessons from failed attempts in the past. It would behoove the MRC to understand what happened with the Snohomish project and whether OPALCO has dealt with those issues

Jane: if it's been several months since you met with OPALCO, I'd consider compiling questions and maybe inviting OPALCO to August meeting to follow up

Adam: yes, we can work on that for the August meeting and hopefully hear both presentations and then make a decision. Maybe David could invite Jerry Whitfield

**10:31 AM • MRC subcommittee updates**

o Outreach & Education

*Katie Johnson*

Thanks to everyone who helped recently with dock talks etc. And please everyone send in your volunteer hours!

For Cattle Point signage, DNR got funding to reinforce the building, planning to meet in August to discuss how to use it. We're on an extension for that grant funding, must be used by Jan 31<sup>st</sup>.

Sandy: any response on youth member proposal?

Katie: sent for review by counsel, hope Council will look at it during August meeting. Several students interested.

o Plastic Free Salish Sea

*Karin Roemers-Kleven/Katie Johnson*

Our Cover your load campaign didn't get off the ground in time for parade, but plans for next year. We'll have a litter critter lab at the Fair, making critters out of recycled materials. Many volunteer opportunities the Fair ACTION: Katie will send around that schedule, let her know if you're interested/available

o Seagrass Protection

*Katie Johnson*

Thanks Charles, Dave, and Matt for submitting their vessel count hours. It helps add to our growing databank on this topic, even a datapoint of zero is helpful

Sandy: -we did a ceremonial transplant at picnic cove with coast Salish youth fellowship and NWIC. We have some funding now to do some seeding there. And, from the group we've been meeting with at the UW,

working with AIS and recreational boating, we have a nice report coming along that I'll share at some point

Frankie: we'll start test flights soon for the eelgrass stressor collaborative. SJC is leading the effort to look at vessels as a potential project, and it's a large collaborative effort with the CD and UW and others

July 10, 2025

LIO Meeting Minutes

**MRC, CAG and LIO Committee Members in Attendance:** David Checkley, Kailey Genther, Adam Parrott, Mike Ramsey, Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria,

**Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public:** Paul Cline, Audrey Coyne, Gregg Dunphy, Jane Fuller, Marta Green, Katie Johnson, Jason Lim, Frankie Robertson, Kendra Smith, Jamie Stephens, Elaina Thompson, Sam Whitridge

**10:48 AM Convene LIO Meeting**

**10:48 AM Plan SJ Local Forum Aug 20-21 Leadership Council Meeting** *Katie Johnson, Sam Whitridge*

Our SJ local forum will be August 20, we'll present to the group and take them on a boat tour. We met with PSP recently, one key is that they can't endorse any SJ-specific funding proposal, but they can consider using SJC as a pilot study in terms of using marine funding mechanisms

Katie: we are also planning a site visit for that day; we'll be limited on boat space. And there may be some members from EPA there, we'll need to share our slides and boat crew names in advance.

Sam: invitations have been extended to County council, Rep Alex Ramel will be joining us, there may be additional legislators in attendance as well.

**10:54 AM LIO Business agenda**

- Healthy Shorelines Action Plan

*Katie Johnson*

That workshop in June was great, I'm synthesizing ideas and I'd love some input on priorities

- Stormwater Strategic Initiative (SWSIL) LIO funding for integrated watershed Management

*Katie Johnson*

Dept. of Ecology has some direct funding for integrated watershed management. Katie wants approval to interact with the stormwater SWIL on that and hopefully get some funding.

MOTION: Adam moves to approve securing funding via collaboration with the SWIL. Kendra seconds. All in favor, none opposed. Motion passes.

- Update on upcoming 3-year contract for LIO Capacity

*Katie Johnson*

Katie reviews amounts secured for each of the next three years for the San Juans. At our August meeting we'd like to talk more about what we'd like to do with that contract so we can begin work starting in October

10:59 AM • PSP Updates

*Jason Lim*

Our executive director search has resumed, hope to have someone appointed by end of summer. Our EPA cooperative agreement was just approved early this week

11:01 AM    **Adjourn LIO Meeting**

o Derelict Vessel Prevention

*Adam Parrott/Kari Koski*

We've entered the next biennium phase for DNR which has funding. We have a few vessels on our vessels of concern list that seem to be abandoned by out-of state. They are good candidates for removal and I'm starting that process. As we move into fall, it'll be more about get-your-vessel together and prevention

o Oil Spill/ERTV

*Sam Whitridge*

no update this month, that subcommittee hasn't met recently and Lovel isn't here. We'll talk a bit in the LIO meeting about a presentation Lovel will give soon, but nothing to share at this time

10:42 AM Committee member updates and any other business

Karin: I just had COVID; I was very sick. The strains coming to the island now from visitors can signify a major outbreak coming up. I recommend we're masked when we meet in person in September.

Marta: I have an update on Lovel's behalf, on June 11 the state board of pilot commissioners made a statement of change in rulemaking regarding tug safety. In 2020 the State required an additional tug escort on certain tankers in the Strait, they've contemplated whether to keep that program and whether to expand the area in which to require an escort. And that's what they decided – the area has expanded about 11% past Patos and into Georgia Strait. Comment period open through August 1. Additional expanded area will add \$1 million to the program. All the justifications commissioners gave also apply to Haro Strait. If you want more information, ask Marta or Lovel.

General webpage on tug escort rulemaking: <https://pilotage.wa.gov/oil-transportation-safety.html>

AND BPC Notice of Proposed Rulemaking

<https://nebula.wsimg.com/413d7bb40c745c4838ce94c87ee209f7?AccessKeyId=F86D0A1E7A0091C2061F&disposition=0&alloworigin=1>

10:48 AM **Adjourn MRC Meeting**

11:01 AM **Convene CAG Meeting**

11:01 AM **CAG Updates/Business**

*Sam Whitridge*

- 2025 San Juan County Salmon Recovery Grant Round Updates (Funding and TAG Rankings)

Many CAG members aren't here so Sam will send this info out via email. Sam shares spreadsheet on screen showing projects with each amount requested, and spreadsheet showing allocation estimates of money available. Scores on projects need to be submitted by August 8<sup>th</sup>. Projects include the Cascade Creek Coho Preserve addition (top), the SJ C Outer islands landowner willingness (third-ranked), and the Upright Head Habitat Restoration (second-ranked). We have about a million requested, and just under a million available with a \$135K shortfall. If we want to fund all these projects, Sam will need to check with other salmon recovery lead entities about doing an allocation swap. That's standard and looks like it could work if that's what we decided to do

The other part of the process is the SRFB review members need to clear these projects in their meeting next week. From what I hear from our state grant manager, they're looking solid to be cleared.

- Planning for MRC/CAG Scoring at the August 7th MRC Meeting

Sam will send out proposals, scoring sheets, and criteria. The CAG's role is to view these projects from a socioeconomic perspective. It's best if you can send in scores in advance of the August meeting.



Kendra: I want to make sure everyone understands about the funds returned from Jackson Beach because the PSP offered funding for that through their mitigation process. The returned funds helped towards these projects.

11:09 PM • **Adjourn CAG Meeting**