



San Juan County Lead Entity for Salmon Recovery



**SAN JUAN COUNTY**  
Marine Resources  
Committee



SAN JUAN LOCAL INTEGRATING ORGANIZATION

## Marine Advisory Committees MRC-CAG-LIO Meeting Agenda

**Thursday, June 1, 2023**

**9:00 AM – 12:00 PM**

**In-Person at San Juan Island Grange  
152 First St N, Friday Harbor, WA 98250**

*While this is an in-person meeting, a virtual option is available via Teams for those who cannot attend in person*  
[Click here to join the meeting](#)

9:00 AM	<p><b>Convene MRC Meeting – <i>Christina Koons</i></b>  <b>Coast Salish Acknowledgement</b>  <i>Let us acknowledge we reside on the ancestral lands and waters of the Coast Salish people who have called this place home since time immemorial and let us honor inherent, aboriginal and treaty rights that has been passed down from generation to generation.</i></p>
9:05 AM	<p><b>Public Comment</b></p>
9:10 AM	<p><b>Approve meeting agenda – <i>All</i></b>  <b>Approve MRC April meeting minutes – <i>MRC Members</i></b></p>
9:15 AM	<p><b>NWSC Meeting Report to the MRC – <i>Christina Koons</i></b></p>
9:20 AM	<p><b>MRC Updates/Business</b></p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>• MRC staffing and membership updates- <i>Sam Whitridge</i></li> <li>• June 23<sup>rd</sup> NWSC Meeting on Lopez Island – <i>Sam Whitridge/Caitlyn Blair</i></li> <li>• Roberts Bank Terminal 2 (RBT2) Expansion Project- <i>Lovel Pratt</i></li> <li>• Report on new SRKW vessel distancing regulations- <i>Frances Robertson</i></li> <li>• Jackson Beach Piling Removal project update- <i>Frances Robertson</i></li> <li>• MRC subcommittee updates: <ul style="list-style-type: none"> <li>○ Oil Spill Prevention and Response Preparedness</li> <li>○ Derelict Vessel Prevention Program</li> <li>○ Plastic Free Salish Sea</li> <li>○ Outreach and Education</li> <li>○ Other Subcommittee Updates</li> </ul> </li> </ul>
10:15 AM	<p><b>Committee member updates and any other business</b></p>
10:20 AM	<p><b>Adjourn MRC Meeting</b>  <b>Convene CAG Meeting</b></p>
10:20 AM	<p><b>CAG Updates – <i>Sam Whitridge</i></b></p>

---

	<ul style="list-style-type: none"><li>• Decision on Salmon Recovery Council Rep for San Juan County</li><li>• 2023 SRFB Grant Round Updates</li><li>• Update on Griffin Bay Shoreline Protection Project</li><li>• PSAR/SRFB Budget Updates</li></ul>
10:50 AM	<b>Adjourn CAG Meeting</b> <b>Convene LIO Meeting</b>
10:50 AM	<b>Approve LIO April Meeting Summary</b>
10:55 AM	<b>LIO Updates/Business</b> <ul style="list-style-type: none"><li>• San Juan County Marine Program Staffing Updates- <i>Sam Whitridge</i></li><li>• May 18<sup>th</sup> Local Forum Debrief/Next Steps- <i>Sam Whitridge</i></li><li>• Update on Creosote Assessment Project- <i>Frances Robertson</i></li><li>• PSP Updates- <i>Sam Whitridge/Matt Colston</i></li></ul>
12:00 PM	<b>Adjourn LIO Meeting</b>

---



**SAN JUAN COUNTY**  
Marine Resources  
Committee



SAN JUAN LOCAL INTEGRATING ORGANIZATION

June 1, 2023

MRC & CAG Meeting Minutes

**MRC, CAG and LIO Committee Members in Attendance:** Matt Arata, Aaron Boyles, Megan Dethier, Jeff Dyer, Kailey Genter, Phil Green, Christina Koons, Erin Licata, Craig Smith, Kim Sundberg,

**Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public:** Caitlyn Blair, Harriet Booth, Matt Colston, Audrey Coyne, Tyler Davis, Marta Green, Katie Johnson, Makenna Pittman, Frances Robertson, Kendra Smith, Elaina Thomson, Sam Whitridge, Cindy Wolf

9:10 AM **Convene MRC meeting, Coast Salish Acknowledgement**

*Christina Koons*

Many of us are here in person at the Grange, nice to see each other in person!  
*Let us acknowledge we reside on the ancestral lands and waters of the Coast Salish people who have called this place home since time immemorial and let us honor inherent, aboriginal and treaty rights that have been passed down from generation to generation.*

9:11 AM **Public Comment**

*none*

9:12 AM **Approve meeting agenda, Approve April MRC meeting minutes**

*MRC members*

Phil moves to approve the agenda, Jeff seconds, all in favor. The agenda is approved.  
Craig moves to accept the April meeting minutes with Lovel's one change, Matt seconds, all in favor, approved.

9:13 AM **NWSC meeting report to the MRC**

*Christina Koons*

The ECB meeting on SJL was a big success. The message about vessel traffic and needing an ERTV is sinking in. 20<sup>th</sup> anniversary event at Jerry Master's house near Seattle on June 10<sup>th</sup>. Christina sent out instructions for RSVP. Puget Sound Day on th Hill – getting traction with congressional offices. NWSC has access to Cantwell's office. Work continues on reauthorization, Cantwell plans to cosponsor. NWSC is coming to Lopez June 23<sup>rd</sup>, everyone can attend.  
Heard about funds available to rural courts that could be valuable. Christina sent that information to staffers.  
ACTION: Christina will send that rural court funding information out to everyone

9:19 AM **MRC Updates/Business**

*Sam Whitridge/Tyler Davis*

- MRC staffing and membership updates

*Sam Whitridge*  
Introducing Katie Johnson, new Grant and Project Coordinator, assisting with projects, reporting, meetings, etc. This is Megan and Phil's last meetings as MRC members. Laura Jo's term also expiring end of June. We have three vacancies.  
Frankie: We'd like a broader representation particularly from Orcas, Lopez, and outer islands.  
Katie: the call for applications is on the website and on Facebook (What's up Friday Harbor), and stewardship network  
Sam: Sandy interviewed; he will be official when his name is sent together with this slate of three to council.  
Craig: what is the process? Do MRC members have opportunity to provide input?  
Sam: we had an interview process with staff including Christina as chair, invited Karin as vice-chair and council rep. We'll share applications with MRC as we did during last round. We'll communicate with applicants about timing.

9:26 AM • June 23rd NWSC Meeting on Lopez Island

*Sam Whitridge/Caitlyn Blair*

Caitlyn: We're excited to come to SJC and to have MRC presentations. Meeting from 10:45-2pm, start at Odlin with welcome from councilperson Jane Fuller. One MRC member presentation there and another at Episcopal church

ACTION: let Caitlyn know by June 9<sup>th</sup> what we want to present, or by latest June 14<sup>th</sup>

After the meeting Tom Cowan will host a BBQ, all are invited, please send Caitlyn information on if you plan to attend, dietary restrictions, and carpool needs. Tom will be emailing. He lives close/short drive from the church and Odlin

ACTION: Caitlyn will confirm location of Tom's house, distance from Odlin

Christina plans to bring boat, tie up at the county dock at Odlin, we'll coordinate regarding transportation

- Sam can talk about the Odlin anchor out project at Odlin and Lovel can present at the church about oil spills

9:40 AM • Roberts Bank Terminal 2 (RBT2) Expansion Project

*Lovel Pratt*

Marta: Lovel reminded us that BC government is accepting comments now until June 8<sup>th</sup>

Cindy: June 6<sup>th</sup> is the next council meeting, if we can develop a correspondence we can address it during that meeting

Christina: Lummi is filing a lawsuit. Maybe we could file a response together as the seven counties, as NWS initiative

Marta: We're also keeping the ECB apprised because they said they would echo our requests at the federal level.

Cindy: ECB plans to bring idea of ERTV forward at Transboundary Caucus with Canadians.

Christina: how is the county tracking that information, agency interactions? Is marine program responsible?

Cindy: Sam has been the point person, Marta, Kim Sundberg, and Lovel. There's engagement from MRC members

Sam: we debriefed with Matt at the partnership, put the post-ECB process in place, they'll be tracking that around the Caucus. I'll be point-person to work with the Partnership on that and make sure the ball moves forward

Christina: seems like there's a lot of momentum on this, maybe we can discuss this briefly at the meeting on the 23<sup>rd</sup>

9:50 AM • Report on new SRKW vessel distancing regulations

*Frances Robertson*

On May 15 Inslee signed the bill into law pushing the buffer distance out to 1000yds for recreational boaters and whale watch boats. It goes into effect January 2025. WDFW is setting up working group to determine how to improve outreach and education to boaters, Frankie will participate. The message is if there are whales, slow down, move away, give them space. This is specifically toward SRKW but hope it shifts attitude about whales in general. The bill also modifies licenses for whale watch and kayak tour companies to address streamlining fees and distinguishes between paddles and motorized vessels, consistent with other ways that WDFW does enforcement. The bill passed with strong bipartisan support. Frankie attended signing in Olympia, gave the governor a whale warning flag.

This summer we've put out boards at the port, RH, and Lopez. Whale warning flag packs are going out.

We're planning dock talks this summer at Roche with Mackenna (the intern, based in Bellingham), at least two a month. Katie and Mackenna will head up those efforts (probably weekend, 11am-4pm). Craig Smith is interested.

Megan: we want to give a little blurb to places that give out shellfish licenses about where people shouldn't crab

Frankie: those can go out with information about whale warning flag and Catch more crab info from NWS. This is about the general message to give whales space and not approach. The 1000 yd buffer is strongly supported by latest available science that shows their foraging success drops dramatically with boats nearby. If whales surprise you, cut engines and echo sounder and let them pass. Trying to shift behavior so it's not ok to pursue these animals. Hoping this ripples out to other species like baleen whales for whom the distance is only 100 yds which is unacceptable, even from a boating safety perspective when talking about large unpredictable animals. The whale warning flag isn't written in actual legislation because there was no funding for that, but we'll continue to pursue that

Jeff: funding stream for enforcement? Will that be driven through promotional fees from WDFW?

Frankie: I'll ask Julie, the DFW policy lead, about what that will look like. DFW will continue prioritizing outreach first.

10:05 AM • Jackson Beach Piling Removal project update

*Frances Robertson*

We received HPA, still waiting on federal permit. No objections from Tribes, just two Tribes want to be notified.

• MRC subcommittee updates:

10:06 AM - Oil Spill Prevention and Response Preparedness

Christina: I did the hazwoper training last year. Required to participate in response as a volunteer if there's a spill

Elaina: I've been here since January, it's been a transition, I'm trying to get everyone's names. [info@iosaonline.org](mailto:info@iosaonline.org),

[elaina@iosaonline.org](mailto:elaina@iosaonline.org) . [www.iosaonline.org](http://www.iosaonline.org) has a training page. Training on September 19-21, 24-hour hazwoper.

8-hour refresher will be the final day of those 3 days. There are 2 categories for volunteers, Tier I commits to quarterly trainings. They'll do site assessment and first response in an incident. Then general IOSA volunteers or

generally trained will be on a master spreadsheet of resources people can provide. Don't always need hazwoper

training, Laura Jo is in as a person who wants to make food. Housing or transportation for people can be a resource

IOSA has been through a lot of transitions over last few years. I'm here to stay and trying to organize everything

into a helpful master list. Please feel free to reach out to me. The training is provided free to the community

10:11 AM - Derelict Vessel Prevention Program

Tyler: I've been working on a master database spreadsheet of boats present over 6-8 months, end of boating season last year until now. We've ended our series of marine patrols for the past year, now it's too busy to do marine patrols.

Finishing up a PSA, short video we'll circulate soon in the community as a call to action and awareness of the program, how to contact about our vessel turn-in program. The database has almost 60 boats. Removed 4 boats since January.

10:14 AM - Plastic Free Salish Sea

Katie: I'll be helping promote this and getting on board with it

Christina: GICU was a huge success, 300+ volunteers and 1000's lbs. of garbage over many islands

10:15 AM - Outreach and Education

Kailey: we have a hurdle with the Cattle Point interpretative center funding

Tyler: LTAC letter several months ago awarding \$20K but prosecuting attorney has final say and rescinded the award based on it being a non-county building. We're following up with DA to find out how to contest that.

Another avenue could be to go after other funding, so it's not a dead project, it's a hurdle/bump in the road

Jeff: so it's owned by DNR? Can county lease it from them?

Kendra: yes it's owned by DNR. But land isn't required to be owned by county when using LTAC funds, it is the case if using public facility funds. We need to follow, this is about interpretation. Amanda and I are working on this

- Other Subcommittee Updates

Christina: Julia Parrish who is with UW CoE and governor appointee to NWSC scientific advisory board. She's promoting COASST, wants to work with MRC's to recruit local residents as volunteers and citizen scientists. Want to craft a proposal for all MRC's through COASST. SJC has 47 current volunteers and over time has had 492 volunteers. Other MRC's have groups of volunteers they train for some things. Do we need a subcommittee to discuss? Staff feedback?

Frankie: where would the funding come from? It sounds like pass-through funding, they want the commission to fund COASST? Why not just funnel the money through MRC's for their projects? We have adopt- a-beach. I'd like to

get Jess in from the stranding network to build on what we've already adopted. Folks could add surveys for stranded animals.

Phil: I was a COASST volunteer for 10 years when I lived on Yellow. I also have a question about funds. They just give you a packet and you do it. Are they looking to fund the training? The staff? I don't understand what they're asking for

Christina: I'll ask Julia and other MRC reps to see if there's any traction and what they're thinking

Phil: COASST is a good program. IF adopt a beach volunteers also want to do the COASST training that's great

Kailey: how often did you find dead birds or bird parts?

Phil: not that much on SJI's but zero as a data point is also valuable. so many predators on SJI they get scavenged fast.

Megan: we do trainings at FHL at least once a year. And we don't have large breeding aggregations around here. I agree sending this back to Julia and asking details about exactly what we'd be agreeing to would be good

Sam: and whether traction with other MRC's and how much money

Christina: \$35K/year across the 7 counties

Frankie: is that coming out of our annual project budget or out of commission? just submitted proposal for full amount

#### 10:32 AM **Committee member updates and any other business**

Meet Makenna, undergraduate at UVic, intern helping for the summer with dock talks, county fair, a map of buoys.

#### 10:33 AM **Adjourn MRC meeting**

-

Break for cake to thank Megan and Phil!

#### 10:48 AM **Convene CAG meeting**

Frankie: Thanks to Jeff and Karin for help at the FHL Open House, a great event for locals, opportunity to engage Another announcement about Makenna, she'll help with the boat counts at Bell Point. Christina and Jeff help with that as well on Orcas and Lopez, let's start now and add it to the apps as in the past. Want to hit holidays, weekends, and randomly throughout day types and times, but likely to see most boats at anchor in the evening/early morning

Craig: is there an app for that? I'd be glad to provide opportunistic counts

ACTION: we'll send that link around, you need to sign up for the app

Phil: at Bell Point, you' have to sweep through and get 3-4 photos to cover the whole area

Jeff: any more information about Watmough? Could we count there?

Kendra: that would be a great site to pick up, it's one of the use-limiting sites we're looking at with tourism planning

Craig: what about state marine park?

Frankie: they are setting up cameras so they can record vessel presence

#### 10:54 AM **CAG Updates**

*Sam Whitridge*

- Decision on Salmon Recovery Council Rep for San Juan County

We've had no official rep since Jamie Stephens stepped down. Discussed as staff and recommend Cindy as SRC rep.

MOTION: Christina moves to appoint Cindy Wolf as representative to the Puget Sound Recovery Council. Jeff seconds. All in favor, none opposed. Thank you, Cindy! (Sam as alternate if Cindy unavailable.)

Sam will let the partnership know and they'll get Cindy on the mailing list (they're already sending her stuff)

#### 10:57 AM • 2023 SRFB Grant Round Updates

We had a great day of site visits: Eastsound shoreline, then Lopez Weeks Pt. Way and Upright Head armor removal.

They've gone through preliminary review by TAG and the SRFB, all three given a 'needs more information' status by review panel. We get a final decision on ranking but it needs to be cleared by review panel. Next is a phone call with review panel and project sponsors (Frankie and Tina) to clarify feedback. Sponsors were also given feedback by TAG. June 26<sup>th</sup> deadline to submit final application. Move into final scoring and ranking at August meeting through the CAG.

Jeff raises the issue of concern about barge landing at Weeks on Lopez

Kim: Has anyone contacted Nickels brothers to ask for video or photos of what it looks like when barges come in?

Frankie: happens infrequently (once or twice a year). They need a permit from County, it is a barge landing site.

Need to work with Nickels bros. to better understand practices (i.e., only certain size barge, prior notification, etc.). Haven't specifically looked at long term impacts from the barge. Often bring them in during winter months, need certain tides

Kim: reviewers want to know more about barge impacts before approving this project, needs to be addressed with some tangible information. Maybe it tears up something in the restoration area, like beach grasses and soft shore

Jeff: may be a simple matter of just talking to Nickels, maybe that's not an important site for them

Cindy: They bring houses in there because it's a shorter distance to where the house is going. It's a historical barge landing so automatically an established barge landing. That seemed to me like a short stretch, would it really make a difference to forage fish? Or more like a message to the neighbors, because there's private beach on either side

Sam: that site and the Eastsound site are both potentially good demonstration sites, high visibility and public access.

11:10AM Funding News:

- PSAR/SRFB Budget Updates

For current grant round, SRFB met last week to set amount. Sam reviews financial details. This year's grant round will be \$20-22 million for the State, that puts SJC between \$308-340K for this year. We have about \$400K in total requests.

If we decide we want to fund all three projects there is room for some creative swapping with other MRC's, allocate from next year's grant round, there will still be options. Next year's grant round will be a big year with PSAR funds.

A couple other funding notes: Getting a bump up in capacity for part of Sam's position, Katie's position, and other staff.

And regarding state budget, enacted budget included PSAR funds. First 30million of PSAR goes to regular grant round and beyond that goes to the capital project round. This came up last year in funding the North Shore project that applied for PSAR large cap projects and got fully funded. State reps worked hard to make sure that project made it.

11:16 AM • Update on Griffin Bay Shoreline Protection Project

This was funded with PSAR funds in 2019, the Chadwick family conservation easement project. This project met some roadblocks, ultimately Preservation Trust had to pull the plug. Good example of what happens when a project takes a long time and multiple generations get involved. We'll find out whether those funds need to go back to the State or if we can find other ways to use them locally. It's important to get conservation projects done in a timely manner

11:18 AM **Adjourn CAG meeting**