



San Juan County Lead Entity for Salmon Recovery



SAN JUAN COUNTY
Marine Resources
Committee



SAN JUAN LOCAL INTEGRATING ORGANIZATION

Marine Advisory Committees MRC-CAG-LIO Meeting Agenda

Thursday, April 6th, 2023
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

Microsoft Teams meeting

Join on your computer, mobile app or room device

[Click here to join the meeting](#)

Meeting ID: 212 282 672 473

Passcode: ydbgAV

Or call in (audio only)

[+1 360-726-3293,,74688859#](#) United States, Seattle

Phone Conference ID: 746 888 859#

While this is a virtual meeting, a public meeting place is available at the County Legislative Building, Large Legislative Conference Room, at 55 2nd St. in Friday Harbor for those without mobile phone or internet access.

9:00 AM	<p>Convene MRC Meeting – Christina Koons</p> <p>Coast Salish Acknowledgement</p> <p><i>Let us acknowledge we reside on the ancestral lands and waters of the Coast Salish people who have called this place home since time immemorial and let us honor inherent, aboriginal and treaty rights that has been passed down from generation to generation.</i></p>
9:05 AM	Public Comment
9:10 AM	<p>Approve meeting agenda – All</p> <p>Approve MRC March meeting minutes – MRC Members</p>
9:15 AM	NWSC Meeting Report to the MRC – Christina Koons
9:20 AM	NWSC '23-'25 Request for Proposals for MRC Funding – Sam Whitridge
9:50 AM	<p>MRC Updates/Business</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • Marine Managers Workshop Debrief – <i>Frances Robertson</i> • Planning for June 23rd NWSC Meeting in San Juan County- <i>Caitlyn Blair</i> • MRC subcommittee updates- <i>MRC Subcommittee Leads</i> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> ○ Outreach & Education (2023 San Juan County Fair Planning) ○ Plastic Free Salish Sea ○ Derelict Vessel Prevention ○ Oil Spill Prevention and Response Preparedness

	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> ○ Cattle Point ○ Other subcommittee updates
10:30 AM	Committee member updates and any other business
10:35 AM	Adjourn MRC Meeting Convene CAG Meeting
10:35 AM	CAG Updates – <i>Sam Whitridge</i> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> ● May 4th SRFB Site Visit Planning ● Salmon Recovery Council rep for San Juan County ● Update on 2023-2025 budget process
11:00 AM	Adjourn CAG Meeting Convene LIO Meeting
11:05 AM	Approve LIO March Meeting Summary
11:10 AM	LIO Updates/Business <ul style="list-style-type: none"> ● PSP Updates- <i>Matt Colston</i> ● Introduce SIL Liaison to San Juan LIO- <i>Audrey Coyne (WA DOH)</i> ● May 18th San Juan Local Forum Planning- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> ● Update on Creosote Assessment Project- <i>Frances Robertson</i>
12:00 PM	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> ● Adjourn LIO Meeting

MRC, CAG and LIO Committee Members in Attendance: Jeff Dyer, Matt Arata, Paul Andersson, Aaron Boyles, Kailey Genther, Christina Koons, Lovel Pratt, Karin Roemers-Kleven, Craig Smith, Beth Tate, Sandy Wyllie-Echeverria
Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public: Caitlyn Blair, Dave Checkley, Audrey Coyne, Tyler Davis, Sasha Horst, Frances Robertson, Sam Whitridge, Cindy Wolf

9:02 AM **Convene MRC meeting, Coast Salish Acknowledgement**

Christina Koons

Let us acknowledge we reside on the ancestral lands and waters of the Coast Salish people who have called this place home since time immemorial and let us honor inherent, aboriginal and treaty rights that have been passed down from generation to generation.

9:03 AM **Public Comment**

none

9:10 AM **Approve meeting agenda, Approve MRC March meeting minutes**

MRC members

Sam has a quick change to the CAG agenda, we can table the salmon chair. All approve. Lovel abstains from approving minutes. All in favor of approving the minutes, none opposed, the minutes are approved.

9:05 AM **NWSC meeting report to the MRC**

Christina Koons

Christina attended the retreat last week in LaConner. It was a day and a half, items of focus:

- post pandemic shifting and priorities
 - increased funding, ability to expand and plan projects. Patty Murray met with Coast Salish Tribes and MRC members on peninsula this week to discuss green crabs, specifically asked about NW Straits commission volunteers
 - Climate change, warming and ocean acidification
 - Messaging, complexity of talking about the NWSC and MRC's around the region. And more diverse messaging
- Cindy: could you come talk to County Council meeting about what NWSC is? We're the largest employer in county.
 Christina: I'm not available on those dates, I can put out the word to commission staff. Tom Cowan may be able to
 ACTION ITEM: Christina will send out a copy of the commission's strategic plan and other retreat materials

9:12 AM **NWSC '23-'25 Request for Proposals for MRC Funding**

Sam Whitridge

This is an RFP for funding the next biennium. This is due by late May and this is our last MRC meeting before then. Important opportunity to solicit input. I submitted a preliminary list of anticipated projects for the next biennium. Ongoing project anticipate to continue: Derelict vessel, PFSS, eelgrass protection effort
 New projects in development: Cattle point interpretative center, small oil spills, and the vessel impact project – we've submitted to Seadoc society for funding but there are other components we're still looking to fund.
 Craig: is there an opportunity to add projects? I think there are two low hanging fruit that came from MMW, -communication at chokepoints for visitors coming to islands on ferries and at marinas, like naturalists on ferries. -Also there's a gap in seabed habitat assessment which is a baseline for management. contact Gary Greene?
 Frankie: great if you could get a cost from Gary, that could be something to do with congressionally directed funds. As for the naturalist idea, I want to caution that we'd need to see a show from MRC members for who would be willing to do that. the whale museum puts naturalists on ferries, may be opportunities to partner, like dock talks. We also participate in the FHL Open House and in the County fair, opportunities to share information
 Lovel: I think Wild Orca is also conducting naturalist talks - at Lime Kiln and the Land Bank westside preserves
 Lovel: if we're talking about staff capacity, could we do something like signage and QR codes on ferry
 Frankie: I would like to explore that further with them, I have some contacts, like Kevin
 ACTION ITEM: Craig will follow up with Gary, pursue that in the proposal
 ACTION ITEM: staff to talk with Angela Broadrick about outreach

Christina: Cynthia from State parks said they have funds to help counties with new pump out facilities.

Frankie: I'll follow up with her because I'm putting together a proposal for recreational boaters at the end of August, if smaller marinas need that specific help maybe we can see where there are gaps

Christina: mobile pumpouts would be more suitable for the islands for tourists' use

Craig: Frankie - Be sure to entrain me in the boating impacts proposal writing process.

Tyler: Catherine from State Parks and was keen on replicating the South Sound Mobile Pump-out Program in SJC

Level: what Hawaii is considering: <https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/paying-for-paradise-hawaii-mulls-fees-for-ecotourism-crush/>

Frankie: I plan to follow up more with Heather Spore about why our HSIL application was unsuccessful because it seemed like a theme of the MMW that we need to get a handle on identifying the physical disturbance to habitat -more discussion on where pumped out materials can go, must be mainland, not suitable for FH treatment plant

9:40 AM **MRC Updates/Business**

Sam Whitridge/Tyler Davis

• Marine Managers Workshop Debrief

Frances Robertson

Frankie: Everyone appreciated having so much face time. I made some good staff connections with the Samish who were thrilled about the creosote pilings we're taking out at Jackson. Great to meet Heather.

Thanks everyone for coming to this meeting after spending two whole days at the MMW

Karin: I thought the workshop was fantastic. I really liked the networking. I was impressed with the number of scientists that participated I loved their enthusiasm, excitement for their specialties and their willingness to share

Craig: yes it was a great meeting, as a new MRC member it was fantastic for getting up to speed on a lot of issues. Is this a regular thing every two years? I think having it every 2-3 years would really be valuable.

Frankie: MM meetings came about after the 2007 MSA plan. These also sparked the terrestrial managers group. Discussions recently about combining terrestrial and marine managers, a lot of what we discuss overlaps. We can consider that going forward. Many of the same people were at both meetings.

Christina: I want to compliment you for pulling that off, also Tyler, Sam, and Kendra - such a resourceful bunch

Cindy: public lands should be supported by public money San Juan Islands cannot support unlimited visitation

Level: Great idea to combine terrestrial and marine. MMW has historically been an opportunity for the Trust staff to participate. When we have a specific topic, we get more participation from other agencies.

Sam: I think the MMW was a great combination of structured and networking face time that can't be replicated over zoom, synergies developed at an event like that are very valuable. valuable to do every couple years

Frankie: Also, we don't want to put off the revision of this plan as long as we did last time. This as a living document we should continue checking back to, green box actions we've completed and keep looking at those we're struggling with. These MMW are great opportunity to remind our partners what we're seeing as priorities and where their responsibilities are. These are the things we want to see happen in the Marine Stewardship area

Craig: it's free peer review, I understand the document much better after discussing it with people at the meeting. My priorities changed a lot during the meeting from my first read. I'd be glad to help organize in the future

9:58 AM • Planning for June 23rd NWSC Meeting in San Juan County

Caitlyn Blair

I'm the program coordinator with the NWSC. I'm meeting with Tom tomorrow about potentially having the meeting on Lopez because he wants to host a BBQ there. I may have more of an update in the next week

Christina: all MRC members are encouraged to attend, if a BBQ bring your family. Have a chance to talk to people about what's going on the islands. This county is different from others in the commission

Caitlyn: we hope to invite MRC members to talk about projects at these meetings, maybe a project site visit. I'll be reaching out about having someone talk at the meeting. Date is June 23rd, a Friday

10:01 AM • MRC subcommittee updates

• Outreach & Education (2023 San Juan County Fair Planning)

Two combined tables for Environmental Stewardship to highlight all of our collective work, including MRC and advisory committees - all the work in our department. We'll reach out to volunteers to help staff booths in August

- Plastic Free Salish Sea

On April 22nd GICU, we hope all MRC members can participate. The organization is different for the different islands, but each involved in beach and road clean up. In FH meet at 10am at the SJBrewery. We hope to get folks interested in beach and road cleanups to adopt a beach. Then when we have ability to adopt a road we'll do that. Several groups collaborate in development of GICU. Managers of the dump weigh our garbage, come back at 2pm to the brewery for fun activities. Last year we had about 100 participants

Sam: And FHL Open House is May 13, 11am-4pm. Set up a couple hours in advance and contact lab staff in advance if you need any materials for your booth. It would be great to have MRC members help there

Craig: how can boating community help with the GICU?

Tyler: I'll talk to Katie and GICU subcommittee about that. We're also planning pick-up for non-ferry-served island

10:10 AM • Derelict Vessel Prevention Program

Tyler: so far this year more marine patrols and so far fewer derelict vessels. We have a good handle on Friday Harbor and Blind Bay. There's an issue with folks anchoring for too long but it's beyond our scope to deal with them, that's for the Sherriff. We're looking for vessels that seem abandoned/neglected.

We also want people to keep their eyes out for derelict vessels, working on an outreach video to get the community involved with vessels of concern and direct folks to the vessel-turn-in program that DNR is running

10:14 AM • Oil Spill Prevention and Response Preparedness

Level: I hope it'll work to have a further debrief on the MMW in terms of this topic area at the next meeting. I'm trying to schedule the subcommittee to get together following discussions from the MMW I'll invite Aaron from Seagrant and Elaina from IOSA to our next meeting, great progress made at the MMW

10:15 AM • Cattle Point

Subcommittee has been sharing good ideas for the interpretative panel, issue is more ideas than signage space so next step is to pare things down, come up with a short list, 2-3 topics we can put on those panels.

10:17 AM • other subcommittee updates

Frankie: the permitting for the Jackson Beach pilings is working its way through hopefully in time to bid project and pull pilings in September. Beth has been helpful in her role as habitat biologist

Tribal liaison: county has given the go-ahead to put together more formal effort in providing Tribal consultation and how we can progress, make sure work we're doing is in right direction and in partnership with Tribes.

Pulling together a training, looking at our Coast Salish Acknowledgement, looking at the wording again

Level: SRKW bill has been something of a roller coaster, went through a lot of changes. Approved in senate and now it's in the house, dramatically changed there. WDFW is maintaining the 1000 yd from whales rule applicable to all recreational boats, non-voluntary. But still some way to go in legislative process. The recommendation from DFW based on recent NOAA science of a 1000' distance for all boats is being proposed in the current bill. There are exceptions. New exemption for oil spill response and deterrent operations which require proximity to whales.

10:26 AM **Committee member updates and any other business**

Christina: if there's any wine leftover maybe we can use it for the June 23rd Frankie: yes, there's a whole box!

10:27 AM **Adjourn MRC meeting, Convene CAG meeting**

10:28 AM **CAG Updates**

Sam Whitridge

- May 4th SFRB Site Visit Planning

Site visits are a month from today. Here's how they'll work: the TAG is required to attend, CAG strongly encouraged to attend. Logistics can be hard. We're trying to fit them all into one day, May 4th, will replace the May MRC meeting. It's an opportunity to see the projects on the ground, ask questions. We'll have our two State review panel members come out. I'll work on itinerary, secure a county boat. We have three projects on Lopez, one on Orcas at Eastsound. Sets up nicely for being able to dock at Madrona Point see the Eastsound site. Then maybe we can dock at Odlin, have vehicles available for the other two sites, upright head and Weeks. Plan on the whole day

Christina: do you know what budget is for recovery dollars?

Sam: still don't have exact number, a couple moving parts. Expecting our allocation, just SFRB, around \$350K. No PSAR money. We have some return funds from Friends they're not going to use, we're working with Kat Moore to get those added in this time, about \$80K, a little funding gymnastics. A moving target, between \$350-400K.

Budgets aren't finalized for projects yet. \$450K is an amount that would enable us to fund all projects

Craig: I'll be in Hawaii on the 4th, is there a way to have a zoom link with someone with a cell phone.?

Sam: we'll see what we can work out, maybe a recording that we can share. I'll follow up with you on that.

After sites visits, move forward with evaluation process. Remember CAG is responsible for scoring the socio economic criteria, TAG looks at it through the technical lens. I know it can be hard to take off your technical hat and look through that lens and you can provide feedback to the TAG. I'll get materials out to you as we move forward through the grant round.

10:41 AM • Update on 2023-2025 budget process

Legislative update, salmon recovery legislation has also been a roller coaster (Sam shares screen)

Item most relevant on PSAR budget is #7, the Glenwood Inn North shore project. That was a project we funded with a portion of our allocation. Large grant round, over \$2million for salmon recovery and we awarded it \$940K.

They also applied to PSAR for the rest. Sam describes details of the project ranking. North shore would be getting a little over 2.1million in this proposal, now going through negotiations, winding down budget process for 2023-25.

As far as other salmon recovery funding news, the senate fully funded the lead entities and their budget, so looking good in terms of capacity funding which funds a portion of my position and salmon recovery funding program

We're going to circle back to the salmon council rep discussion, that won't come back with the Council for a couple of months, we'll probably get to that item at our next meeting.

10:42 AM **Adjourn CAG meeting**