



San Juan County Lead Entity for Salmon Recovery



SAN JUAN LOCAL INTEGRATING ORGANIZATION

Marine Advisory Committees MRC-CAG-LIO Meeting Agenda

Thursday, November 3, 2022
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

Microsoft Teams meeting

Join on your computer, mobile app or room device

[Click here to join the meeting](#)

Meeting ID: 227 259 667 557

Passcode: mPcbSy

Or call in (audio only)

[+1 360-726-3293,,461615118#](#) United States, Seattle

Phone Conference ID: 461 615 118#

While this is a virtual meeting, a public meeting place is available at the County Legislative Building, Legislative Hearing Room, at 55 2nd St. in Friday Harbor for those without mobile phone or internet access.

9:00 AM	<p>Convene MRC Meeting – Christina Koons</p> <p>Coast Salish Acknowledgement</p> <p><i>Let us acknowledge we reside on the ancestral lands and waters of the Coast Salish people who have called this place home since time immemorial and let us honor inherent, aboriginal and treaty rights that has been passed down from generation to generation.</i></p>
9:05 AM	<p>Public Comment</p>
9:10 AM	<p>Approve meeting agenda – All</p> <p>Approve September/October MRC meeting minutes – MRC Members</p>
9:15 AM	<p>NWSC meeting report to the MRC – Christina Koons</p>
9:20 AM	<p>MSA Plan Update and Review/Approval of Chapters– Frances Robertson</p>
9:50 AM	<p>MRC Updates/Business</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • 10/28 Aleutian Isle debrief report- Frances Robertson • Letter from Oil Spill prevention subcommittee- Sam Whitridge/Christina Koons • Derelict Vessel patrol update- Sam Whitridge/Tyler Davis

	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> • Dec 1st MRC Retreat Planning- <i>Sam Whitridge/Tyler Davis</i> • Upcoming MRC Membership Changes- <i>Sam Whitridge/Tyler Davis</i> • Approve MRC Rep to LIO-<i>Sam Whitridge</i> • Habitat SIL Buoy Grant- <i>Sam/Frankie/Tyler</i> • LTAC Grant Update- <i>Tyler Davis</i> • NWSC Letter of Support Request for MRC Funding Proviso- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> • Proposed MRC Outreach project- <i>Tyler Davis</i>
10:50 AM	Committee member updates and any other business
10:50 AM	Adjourn MRC Meeting Convene CAG Meeting
10:50 AM	CAG Updates- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • 2023 SRFB Grant Round Planning • PSAR 10-year plan • Report on Recent PSAR Cost Analysis
11:15 AM	Adjourn CAG Meeting Convene LIO Meeting
11:15 AM	Approve LIO September/October Meeting Summary
11:20 AM	LIO Updates- <i>Sam Whitridge/Tyler Davis/Matt Colston</i> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • Strategic Funding Team Next Steps • PSP Staffing Changes • LIO Coordinator Action Agenda Prioritization • HSIL Proposal Update • PSEMP Marine Birds Work Group update
12:00 PM	Adjourn LIO Meeting



San Juan County Lead Entity for Salmon Recovery



SAN JUAN LOCAL INTEGRATING ORGANIZATION

Marine Advisory Committees MRC-CAG-LIO Meeting Minutes November 3, 2022

MRC, CAG and LIO Committee Members in Attendance: Matt Arata, Carl Davis, Megan Dethier, Jeff Dyer, Kailey Genter, Phil Green, Christina Koons, Adam Parrott, Lovel Pratt, Karin Roemers-Kleven, Beth Tate
Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public: Matthew Colston, Tyler Davis, Marta Green, Sasha Horst, Erin Licata, Dana Oster, Frances Robertson, Kendra Smith, Kim Sundberg, Sam Whitridge

9:02 AM **Convene MRC Meeting, Coast Salish Acknowledgement** Christina Koons

Let us acknowledge we reside on the ancestral lands and waters of the Coast Salish people who have called this place home since time immemorial and let us honor inherent, aboriginal and treaty rights that have been passed down from generation to generation.

9:03 AM **Public Comment** none

9:04 AM **Approve Meeting Agenda, Approve September/October MRC meeting minutes** MRC members
MOTION: Megan moves to approve the minutes, Adam seconds. Lovel made some edits on September minutes and a few small errors were corrected by Tyler, those are incorporated. All in favor, none opposed, minutes are approved.

9:05 AM **NWSC meeting report to the MRC** Christina Koons

Debra Lekanoff spoke. Discussed issues coming up in next legislative session. ‘Net ecological gain’ – part of house bill 1117 which Lekanoff sponsored, she uses the term ‘Nature forward’. Jan Newton from UW Applied Physics Lab visited, spoke about “backyard buoys” (more about Jan’s research here <http://www.nanoos.org/>)
Dana: This site has all the links from Jan’s talk, scroll to the bottom: [Speed Dating with Scientists \(nwstraits.org\)](http://www.nanoos.org/)
Christina: and, NW Straits conference being planned for next year, Nov. 3-4, 2023 at PT Maritime Center.

9:09 AM **MSA Plan Update and Review/Approval of Chapters** Frances Robertson

Final chapters were sent to members for review, we’ll run through those now. Frankie shares screen
Reminder – this plan updated 2007 strategies plus information gained from the 2020 Marine Managers’ workshop.

- Chapter 2: assessment of MSA plan, review of 2007 strategic actions

Kendra: There was extensive effort at that time but very little got implemented in the field. I think it’s important to highlight that and that our efforts here are to develop a plan which will be implemented and tracked

Frankie: would that fall into introduction? (Answer: yes.) This chapter shows what’s been done in terms of progress

- Chapter 3: Conservation Biodiversity targets

In 2007, these were brief paragraphs. We've included updates on protection status, knowledge gaps, threats, etc. We brought in experts, tried to provide context for why species assemblages are important

Megan: awesome job!

- Chapter 4: Critical habitat and protected areas. We'll work with GIS dept in the new year to provide a map in which users can identify key areas for permitting, projects, etc.

Kendra: embedded web links won't last, need to go to different organizations' map service to ensure they're accurate

Level: we discussed council's approval, will there need to be an understanding that approved maps will be updated?

Frankie: majority of the maps are coming from external agencies

Kendra: we need to assure council that we have the latest iteration of those maps from those agencies. We have terminology in the code about best available science – we'll need to make sure that's applied

Level: helpful to start thinking about language

Kendra: we'll do that after the comprehensive plan is finished

Kailey: are we including properties that land bank holds? Or are these only state and county protected areas

Frankie: it includes all protected lands

Kendra: it includes SJPT and Land Bank, reminder – Land Bank land is county land. We have the map layers for all those properties. That can become part of messaging to boaters about what places need to be protected

Christina: do we have separate maps from Tribes?

Frankie: no but refers user to DAHP (Department of Archeological and Historic Preservation), those Tribal sites are culturally sensitive areas not available for public knowledge

Kendra: would still be good to talk with Tribes and classify some areas as 'privately held' sensitive areas

Frankie: Tulalip has expressed some concern in that regard, with recreational access to sensitive cultural areas

- Chapter 7: Relevant Management Efforts and Plans, it's a 'resources' chapter – lays out climate action plan, oil preparedness plan, mapping efforts largely by Friends of San Juans, etc.

Jeff: will embedded links get updated annually? I didn't check them all but found two links that didn't work

Frankie: could create a resources page on MRC website to refer to or provide full citation. It's a struggle to make a hub for these documents. (one problem is that docs were originally on LIO site which is now being updated for the County)

Still to complete: Chapter 5 – Threats and Stressors and also Chapter 6 – Management Recommendations. Need to maintain the Excel table we've been using to identify actions and track progress but put information into the plan.

Megan: that tracking is what shows this is not like the last plan that just sat on the shelf, it's a good validating exercise

Threat themes: Shipping and boating impacts, climate change, human recreation and resource extraction, development of islands and shorelines, invasive species and altered food webs (not just food web dynamics)

Kendra: is shipping/boating for larger vessels and recreation/resource extraction refers to smaller vessels?

Frankie: they're very connected like all these threats, can't entirely divide them

Level: Did we address aquaculture in the MSA plan, e.g., salmon farms. This topic has come up for SJ county

Frankie: it seems already impossible for net pens to be in the County

Level: disagree, the code isn't that clear. There's a proposal now in Bainbridge that could affect killer whales.

Megan: My recollection is that we looked at current regulations and thought they were sufficiently strong

Level: the current Cherry Point proposal is land-based but involves a lot of seawater intake and potential pathogen release. There are more of these proposals coming up in the region

Frankie: there has been interest in kelp farming, one idea for Jackson Beach would have been in eelgrass area

Megan: but in that case the fact that there's eelgrass would prevent the kelp farm from being built

Level: ...only if we have an approved map documenting that the eelgrass is there

Jeff: back to shipping and boating– for shipping we're talking about transboundary commerce, its own entity.

Recreational boating is more local, shoreline-based. Oil spill prevention relates to both

Kendra: as developing specific actions, relate them to goals or to threat themes and add some categories

Level: Jeff is right, but don't want to lose sight of the concern about increased boating in recent years

Frankie: I'll get this chapter draft to all of you so you can see how the threats are laid out.

Everyone approves of the completed chapters. Thanks Frankie for all the hard work!

<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hCt2RUjgiPrA0Pdv7HKvpQki5T0o0zql/edit?usp=sharing&oid=109287952495427423776&rtpof=true&sd=true>

9:50 AM **MRC Updates/Business**

Sam Whitridge/Tyler Davis

9:51 AM • Letter from Oil Spill prevention subcommittee

Sam Whitridge/Christina Koons

The subcommittee all weighed in, Level and Christina took the lead. Letter has been sent. There were four key issues the subcommittee found for council to consider: Increasing oil spill response resources, increasing whale response deterrents, the importance of securing air quality monitoring equipment, and communication with local citizens.

Christina: thanks to the subcommittee for their work. It was important to thank all the county/state/fed agencies for their work in raising the boat. We need to be prepared for these events to happen. Coast Guard observed many small spills while here. We mentioned that and hope County will consider an education campaign. Thanks, Jeff, for his edits

Kendra: we may want to include Jane Fuller on the list of recipients. If there was no specific action requested in the letter, we should have a follow-up discussion. That can be arranged after the 1st of the year

Level: there was an ask in terms of legislative ways to address the situation. This would be the time to address that

10:00 AM • 10/28 Aleutian Isle debrief report

Frances Robertson

One interesting takeaway was that Coast Guard classified this as a type II event, type I would have been the most serious. Many agencies struggled to address the long-term nature of this response. Issues with resources and the remoteness of the SJI's. In the debrief group for wildlife response, their focus was on SRKW but birds are important too, some endangered species. Another takeaway was the use of technology/drones, a huge help in tracking sheen.

Marta: I attended the Pacific States Oil Spill Task Force meeting yesterday. Several participants referred to the Aleutian Isle incident. I asked about the air monitoring issue, and it wasn't directly answered.

Frankie: It would be great to host a workshop in FH with all groups involved in hazing activities, the agencies and IOSA etc. We discussed this with WDFW, they should lead but MRC can help facilitate by arranging meeting space in FH.

When they gave summary of actions, there was no timeline provided, wasn't 100% clear what was happening when.

Marta: we should request those daily reports from the Coast Guard and from Ecology, Brendan should have those.

ACTION ITEM: Marta will request daily reports (especially first few days) from Brendan

Level: I was glad to hear Brendan speak about the need for better air quality monitoring. I've been told there'll be a debrief meeting in April which sounds far away. Also, no discussion of total cost.

And regarding yesterday's Task Force meeting, there was a lot of reference to the whale deterrents operations being done by volunteers. I'm concerned there's an expectation that we'll have volunteers for that. Contracted assets with training would be best. In our letter to Council, we talked about the need to be better prepared to perform whale deterrent operations. Giles is interested in helping but it requires funding.

Frankie: There is a question of how effective these deterrent operations are. SRKW behavior has changed a lot in last 15 years, groups are smaller and more fragmented. This happened under best possible conditions and still challenging.

Christina: can we reach out and request moving timeline up, maybe meeting in January? And circling back to the idea of a community meeting. Any objections to that idea? (*No one has any objections*)

Karin: Meeting in January would be more relevant, memory can be lost by April. I'd like it to be a community meeting

ACTION ITEM: Christina will contact Coast Guard, she'll provide our letter. Frankie suggests working with Brendan

- Sam will help, Lovel will provide Coast Guard contact

Sam: Brendan was specifically hesitant about an open-ended meeting, this would be suggested by Coast Guard

Kendra: maybe in January there could be a conversation about your letter and what we should do locally to help solve for those issues. Make it not only about the Aleutian Isle but also about the small/mid-size spills.

Lovel: If we're serious about expanding spill response in the Islands and more robust deterrent program, requires legislation. Historically the legislation that increases spill response happens after a spill, so this is our window of opportunity – this legislative session. If we want to engage Council in this session January is too late.

Kendra: what if committee starts drafting what the legislation should be and we get an early meeting in January to ask them to put that forward. May be able to get the document in front of them sooner but council session ends Dec. 15th. The letter sent doesn't specifically point out the ask, e.g., existing regulation language change.

Christina: Can Lovel take this and run with it? Can MRC encourage this action to move ahead? Or should we demand time with council sooner? And can we reach out to Tribes, NW straits? (they have a legislative relations committee)

Lovel: at the very least there's always public access at the start of every council meeting, we can go and remind about the letter we've submitted and add detail about the opportunity to affect change now. Subcommittee should discuss

ACTION ITEM: Christina and Lovel will talk offline to schedule a subcommittee meeting for next week

10:36 AM • Derelict Vessel patrol update

Sam Whitridge/Tyler Davis

Three vessels on our priority list to NW Straits commission. Tyler shares screen: the "Dudeck" barge in Blind Bay, the Morningstar in Blind Bay, and the Metaphor at Orcas landing.

Christina: did we reach out to marina owners to see if they have vessels that need to be listed?

Marta: this state funding only applies to public marinas. Adam and I went out recently in Shipyard cove, met with two of the liveaboards. How do we address people who have no other living option? Some boats with expired registration, appear to be not moving or operational, but still within compliance

Adam: for the port it's a long process to have vessel moved out of the marina, they get 30/60/90 day notice.

There's a 90-day waiting period in which vessel can come into compliance prior to impound. Whole process can take 6 months.

Kendra: is this like unlivable conditions in a home, typically the Health Dept. makes those calls? for liveaboards

Christina: There are boats in West sound marina they'd love to get rid of. Can subcommittee proceed with this?

Marta: is Tyler leading that subcommittee?

Tyler: yes, who's on it? – Adam, Marta, Phil

Marta: and Jeff or Phil if you're available to come out with us next week? Next focus area includes Westcott Bay

Karin: is boat insurance an enforced requirement? Maybe derelict vessels without insurance can be cited earlier?

Adam: Yes, insurance is part of the contract agreement, and we have a staff that contacts anyone not in compliance.

Sam: the process is going forward; meeting will happen sometime in November. Finalize list in January

10:49 AM • Habitat SIL Buoy Grant

Sam/Frankie/Tyler

Funds granted from National estuary program. We are putting together a proposal to assess comprehensive boating in the County. This came out of the EPIC meetings, to address issues with lack of mooring in the County. And then hopefully find some solutions for reducing vessel impacts. This will be a 4-year project, taking it to Council next week. Application would be due first week of December if Council approves

10:51 AM • Dec 1st MRC Retreat Planning

Sam Whitridge/Tyler Davis

We'll finalize MSA plan, also some MRC work-planning and team-building. Spend some time projecting forward. Planning to do it at FHL. A good chunk of the day in person. Karin and Beth may not be available to meet in person. Frankie: We have catered meetings in the past. Just need Sasha to approve and the grant can reimburse, at current per diem per person. We can work with Rene Beachem like last time. Then we just provide tea & coffee.

10:55 AM • Upcoming MRC Membership Changes

Sam Whitridge/Tyler Davis

We'll need to fill Ivan's position, let's start thinking about potential new members. It would be good to have more Lopez/Orcas residents, another whale-watching representative

Megan: are these positions that are open allocated to anyone in particular or to members at large?

Sam: next June Megan's position expires, would be great to have someone at the labs. Technically not allocated.

Phil's position will expire as well.

Phil: in the past we've tried to get representation from outer islands but it's not an allocated position. And there was never an allocated position for whale watch industry.

Frankie: but we should get that fixed to ensure that an FHL position is an allocated position.

Tyler: I do think having representation from the tourism industry is key

Beth: In my new position at WDFW I will be staying on the MRC. Jen-Jay would like to add another MRC member to continue to represent the contracting/development side of our marine resources needs, likely be an Orcas person.

ACTION ITEM: Beth can reach out to that person to complete an application

10:58 AM • Approve MRC Rep to LIO

Sam

Whitridge

MOTION: Megan moves to approve Adam as representative to the LIO, Christina seconds. All in favor, Adam is the rep.

10:59 AM • LTAC Grant Update- Tyler Davis

Seeking LTAC funds to improve Cattle Point 'bunker' and outdoor signage. Planning for the next calendar year.

Seeking input on ideas, this will be an MRC commitment. A graphic designer will create signage, we're responsible for verbiage

Megan: is DNR throwing out previous work?

Tyler: they have three signs already, nothing intertidal. I'll push them to provide other signs. They don't want to throw anything out. They were happy with work that had been previously done.

Frankie: we had a beautiful intertidal sign designed for Orcas landing; can we reuse that here? (answer: yes)

Tyler: we also have a letter of support from DNR that they support this on their land. Then can we also have a letter of support from the MRC signed by Christina to show MRC is on board with this effort?

ACTION ITEM: Tyler will write the letter and send it to Christina to sign. All in support of this idea, no one opposed

11:06 AM • NWSC Letter of Support Request for MRC Funding Proviso

Sam

Whitridge

NWSC wants to edit proviso funding MRC's, there are some unintended challenges in wording that make extra administrative burden/routing steps in contracting for projects. NWS is seeking to change this language, requesting letters of support from MRC's – need approval from the MRC to move forward on that. All approve, none opposed.

11:07 AM • Proposed MRC Outreach project- Tyler Davis

Need to do more storytelling to the community, largely share on social media. Write up involvement into short story or media post – one person a month. Unlike bio videos we did in the past, this would be short 500 words story. All in favor, Tyler will reach out to get it started.

11:10 AM **Committee member updates and any other business**

Tyler: Another presentation from yesterday's Oil Spill Task Force annual meeting that has relevance to our discussion on marine spill prevention and response came from the Georgia Strait Alliance and their Clean Marine BC program ([Clean Marine BC • Georgia Strait Alliance](#)[Georgia Strait Alliance](#)). When we decide to tackle this issue, we can look to programs like this (and in California) to craft our approach, rather than reinventing the wheel.

11:11 AM **Adjourn MRC Meeting, Convene CAG Meeting**

11:02 AM **CAG Updates**

Sam Whitridge

- 2023 SRFB Grant Round Planning

We are in early stages, it will be a smaller funding year, just SRFB not PSAR this year. I'm requesting first week of May for site visits. Proposals due in April, letters of interest due in February

11:12 AM • PSAR 10-year plan

The partnership is in process of developing committee for a 10-year plan on PSAR. Need to make some massive investments, etc. They're finalizing the terms of reference, building a business strategy to hopefully bring in more funding streams for salmon recovery. Then adaptive management to enhance effectiveness of PSAR. This will be finalized at Salmon recovery meeting on the 17th.

11:14 AM • Report on Recent PSAR Cost Analysis

The partnership recently conducted a cost analysis on PSAR, there have been significant increases on costs for salmon recovery projects. It's blown the budget out of the water in terms of what Partnership can provide, affecting ability to complete some projects. Inflation creates some costs increases, but largely construction costs and materials increase over original project costs. Want to institute incentives for realistic estimates and to not underestimate costs but for proposals to present true costs. Want to get contractors more up to speed on what these projects cost, generate more interest in these types of projects. New ways to add contingencies to projects
Kendra: can we build in the cost increases? Some stormwater projects take 5 years to complete, cost increases are higher than on mainland. Can there be a mechanism to unilaterally account for that inflationary element?
Sam: that's something I can push for; I know that'll come up at the Watersheds Lead group

11:21 AM **Adjourn CAG**