



San Juan County Lead Entity for Salmon Recovery



SAN JUAN LOCAL INTEGRATING ORGANIZATION

Marine Advisory Committees MRC-CAG-LIO Meeting Agenda

Thursday, Sept 1, 2022
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

In-Person Meeting at San Juan Island Grange
152 First St N, Friday Harbor

While this meeting is in-person, a virtual meeting option is available for those who wish to attend remotely

Microsoft Teams meeting
Join on your computer or mobile app

[Click here to join the meeting](#)

Meeting ID: 256 508 025 098

Passcode: vRfuDq

Or call in (audio only)

[+1 360-726-3293,,179377476#](#) United States, Seattle

Phone Conference ID: 179 377 476#

9:00 AM	<p>Convene MRC Meeting – Christina Koons Coast Salish Acknowledgement <i>Let us acknowledge we reside on the ancestral lands and waters of the Coast Salish people who have called this place home since time immemorial and let us honor inherent, aboriginal and treaty rights that has been passed down from generation to generation.</i></p>
9:05 AM	<p>Public Comment</p>
9:10 AM	<p>Approve meeting agenda – All Approve August MRC meeting minutes – MRC Members</p>
9:15 AM	<p>NWSC meeting report to the MRC – Christina Koons -Update on NWSF Passport to Marine Adventure App- <i>Jessica Page</i></p>
9:20 AM	<p>MRC Housekeeping – Sam Whitridge/Tyler Davis/Frances Robertson</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • Marine Program Staff Roles Clarification • Staff vs. Committee Member Roles • Sept 16 Collaborative Conservation Workshop • MRC Logo Update • Derelict Vessel Work Group update/MRC rep for Work Group

	<ul style="list-style-type: none"> • MRC rep to LIO • MRC retreat scheduling
9:50 AM	Debrief and Discussion re: FV Aleutian Isle Oil Spill- <i>Sam Whitridge</i> -Potential MRC Sponsorship of Community Workshop re: Oil Spill Response
10:50 AM	Adjourn MRC Meeting Convene CAG Meeting
10:50 AM	SRFB Grant Round Final Updates- <i>Sam Whitridge</i>
10:55 AM	Committee Member News and Other Business
11:00 AM	Adjourn CAG Meeting Convene LIO Meeting
11:00 AM	LIO Updates- <i>Sam Whitridge/Tyler Davis</i> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • ECB meeting Report • LIO Coordinator Retreat Report • LIO Capacity Funding Update -Spend Down Plan for 2022 -2023-2025 Scope of Work/Budget • Fish tales update- <i>Frances Robertson</i> • Countywide Creosote Assessment Update- <i>Frances Robertson</i> • PSP Updates- <i>Matt Colston</i>
12:00 PM	Adjourn LIO Meeting



San Juan County Lead Entity for Salmon Recovery



Marine Advisory Committees MRC-CAG Meeting Minutes September 1, 2022

MRC, CAG and LIO Committee Members in Attendance: Paul Andersson, Matt Arata, Carl Davis, Megan Dethier, Jeff Dyer, Kailey Genter, Phil Green, Christina Koons, Lovel Pratt, Karin Roemers-Kleven, Laura Jo Severson, Kendra Smith

Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public: Matthew Colston, Brendan Cowan, Tyler Davis, Marta Green, Sasha Horst, Jessica Page, Frances Robertson, Julie Schlenger, Sam Whitridge, Cindy Wolf

9:05 AM **Convene Meeting, Coast Salish Acknowledgement**

Christina Koons

Welcome, first meeting in person in over two years! *Let us acknowledge we reside on the ancestral lands and waters of the Coast Salish people who have called this place home since time immemorial and let us honor inherent, aboriginal and treaty rights that have been passed down from generation to generation.*

9:06 AM Introductions around the room

9:09 AM **Debrief and Discussion re: FV Aleutian Isle Oil Spill –**

Brendan Cowan

Brendan is Emergency Management Director for SJC, and an Oil Spill Association board member. In Unified Command emergency response, Brendan represents County, provide local knowledge. This not an official presentation.

Current status: boat still on bottom. Divers hand-cleared nets and plugged some fuel vents. Hope to be able to lift the boat soon. The operation is incredibly complex, the boat is on bedrock at 45-degree angle, etc.

Q: has it been verified how much fuel was in there? Any ROV's, do they help?

Brendan: 2K+ of diesel, and oils in winches etc. Yes many ROV's, provide light, video to show divers what to expect

Q: do they know how this happened?

Brendan: There's an investigation underway working to figure that

Lovel: I was glad Unified command is prepared to reimburse boats who provide work hazing for whales. I hope in future there can be resources dedicated to compensation so that there's no delay. Is that something you can advocate for?

Brendan: Yes. whale-hazing plan will be more robust and structured going forward. Even if we don't succeed in lifting the boat, this was a successful no-notice mobilization exercise. As to compensating, no way to get liability coverage for volunteers with IOSA. A worker is exposed if on the water working and not being paid. For IOSA it costs thousands for an employee's liability coverage. Waivers are legally worthless. Boat employees are covered by their organizations.

L&I can cover work on shore, that's important. IOSA has been delivering booms and other work for which they don't need to be on the water. Maybe IOSA needs some paid staff. At RH, we've seen a high volume of recreational spills in marinas - large sheens that have nothing to do with this incident. Possible more fuel spilled from rec boats in past few weeks than from the Aleutian Isle. Marinas and owners don't always report. Should we be training with marina workers? Maybe MRC can educate boat owners. Annual training for marina staff? Have a Marina operator on MRC

Level: good Coast Guard & Ecology is aware of boaters here. Do they understand the remoteness and difficulty?

Brendan: They're getting the idea it's hard to get here in the summer. We have some contracts with Kenmore to get people here, ensure those responders have access to county vehicles, need to tighten that up with more agencies.

We've been able to figure out housing, Labs has been helpful. Staying at private homes isn't the first choice.

Marta: considering safety concerns, is the alternative to leave the vessel and reduce the hazards?

Brendan: if boat can't be lifted, they'll plug vents as much as possible and leave it. That usually happens in the U.S. (all over Alaska). This is an unprecedented scale of response, \$4million spent, politically high level of attention.

Level: Back during rulemaking in 2012, the County advocated to have more staff and resources based here in the County. this could bring sustainable funding to IOSA for more local response resources.

Brendan: equipment is one thing, but we really need people, 2-3 full time staff. a Dept. of Ecology responder and vessel based in SJ county would be beneficial. I imagine them being tightly coordinated with a local IOSA staff And I don't think it's the best use of our response to spend all efforts in getting there in standard 2 hours. This comes to no-notice drills, we need test that we can do what we say we can. IOSA won't be able handle a spill without outside support. Don't want to give expectation that even with the most robust response a large oil spill could be contained.

Frankie: about hazing whales - NOAA has a plan for SRKW since they are endangered, it involves banging on a pipe, 'herding' the whales away. IOSA gave pipes to a group trained to deploy them. It can only be authorized by NOAA, only for SRKW and not other species - that's a conversation we'll need to have. We have numerous groups based here who know the whales and how to drive boats around them. Those will be our first call before 'boats of opportunity'.

Brendan: Canadians also have hazing program. I think this event will move ours forward

Frankie: Also, what do we think effectiveness is now that whales are much more dispersed. Need to research behavior.

Brendan: This is about expectation setting. This is in the most beautiful weather possible, not November with gales.

Frankie: many of these are small boats hauled out for the winter season, can only operate in certain conditions, hazing only effective in certain conditions. Behaviors are changing and isn't as defined a SRKW season anymore

- *Potential MRC Sponsorship of Community Workshop re: Oil Spill Response?*

Karin: could MRC host a workshop, presentation with all the United team together. Provide a community event?

Brendan: Don't need my permission; if the focus is on response I'd love to be involved. It doesn't always remove negative feelings. But the more the MRC educates itself the better. The NW area contingency plan is a good starting point for understanding the framework. Change gets made by pushing from the inside (government) as well as outside.

Paul: will there be an objective after-action report from the County? At one point would that come out and from who?

Brendan: Coast Guard will likely lead official after-action report. Then we can have other conversations on local level.

Level: can you help this group to draft what are priority concerns are and help to craft the questions to be submitted?

Brendan: Yes, and I also want to preserve/build good relationship with Dept. of Ecology. There's a lot to understand about spill response, diesel disperses quickly not like crude oil. But lesson learned to put out immediate 'media boom'

10:02 AM Public Comment

Phil Green

Phil: we know avian flu is in SJC, I've been in contact with Frank James. Want to put updates on our website because we have beach stewards. key message is "don't touch the birds". concern could be transmission to people

QUESTION: what should people do when see a dead bird? ANSWER: that information is in the media release

Christina: should people not be touching feathers they find on the beach or on the ground?

Paul: any time you touch bird feathers you should wash your hands. Farms have a security protocol to prevent spread

Karin: see if there are measures that need to be taken, if there's a transmission risk the County needs to put on notice

ACTION ITEM; Lovel: Phil if you're in touch with Dr. James can you relay some of these questions?

Phil: I'll check first to see if there's information in the press release

10:08 AM Approve meeting agenda and August MRC meeting minutes

Christina Koons

No changes to agenda. Lovel didn't have a chance to read through minutes. Megan moves to approve minutes, Laura Jo seconds. All in favor, none opposed, Lovel abstains. August minutes are approved.

10:14 AM NWSC meeting report to the MRC

Christina Koons

Karin is new alternate, attended half the meeting. It's last Friday of every month. The reports are sent to all of you.

About derelict vessel removal: funds will be provided to the 7 counties to draw up a list of vessels to be removed

Frankie: each county got \$200K and this group approved using funding to remove creosote pilings at Jackson beach.

Sasha: each MRC was awarded same funding, some MRC's elected to contribute certain amount to derelict vessels.

Sam: there's going to be a call for an MRC representative to be the point person for this, to help review list of vessels

Phil: I sat in on the meetings and volunteered to be the representative, but Marta would be the best person

Frankie: doesn't the representative need to be an MRC member? Sasha and Sam: yes, they do

Marta: I'm working on this already with the sheriff's office, any additional funds could focus on prevention. Now we identify vessels of concern, try to contact owners but when we can't, then MRC could help prioritize removals.

Phil: It's my understanding that the rep would meet with other MRC reps to discuss the list and rate the vessels

Marta: our current list reflects surveys in each of three locations. We made progress with a few owners. It's overwhelming during boating season. Intent is to check those three locations and other locations after Labor Day.

Lovel: We could also apply for funds directly. What's being offered through NW Straits doesn't need to be seen as a cap on what's possible ACTION ITEM: Lovel can follow up with Marta about her source on that

Sam: the requested deadline for the list is October 1st

Sasha: the list can be just 'vessels we know of'. Working through an interagency agreement for DNR to do work.

Marta: But then it would be a vessel of concern, and the process through the State to get custody takes over 60 days.

The County is still pursuing El Capitan, can take custody of a boat in a private marina, if there's funding. El Capitan was sold while tied up, new owner never got insurance then bailed. The marina holds the liability.

Christina: can we send information out to marinas to make them aware this is happening?

Paul: can we crowd-source this to the people who are walking/driving by regularly? And does this include derelict docks as well? And with enough media about this program, maybe people more motivated to move their boat themselves.

Frankie: need to talk to Deb Fritz with Towboat, she knows all the boats. And that's the prevention piece

- Phil is ready to be representative for this derelict vessel issue.

Marta: we're focused on open waters first and then marinas.

Frankie: Adam Parrot is heading up their derelict vessel program at the port (e.g., boats must have a working motor)

Marta: I'll get assistance from the Sheriff's dept., identify vessels of concern, put a list together, then we can add to it

Phil: this list will continually be added to. But this money is specifically directed, it won't be the end of the program

Marta: how much money will be left after creosote piling removal? Frankie: none

Phil: we should still be involved even if no additional funds, to have a say in the list and be positioned for next funding

Frankie: this list is an MRC deliverable on the grant

Kendra: there's a button you can click on the MRC website to notify of a derelict vessel, and on County Marine program

- NW Straits Initiative Collaborative Conservation workshop at Padilla Bay on September 16th, you're all invited.

Sam has emailed information on how to sign up, if interested let him know. (Sasha just emailed it)

Yellow Island intertidal monitoring project – for 'scientist speed-dating' they invited Chris Mantegna who developed a research study at Yellow Island. She honored Phil and Megan both for their contributions to research at Yellow Island.

They brought in students to study there, some funding by the Doris Duke endowment. She should come talk to MRC.

10:38 AM **-Update on NWSF Passport to Marine Adventure App**

Jessica Page

NW Straits foundation is working on this app that teaches about work marine conservation partners are doing, they collect points at each site to use at local businesses. 3 sites per county so far, want to add 3 more. In SJ county it's Lime Kiln, Spring Street landing and Orcas landing. Adding South beach, Obstruction pass and Shark Reef. Interested in local tips, favorite things to do, pictures, ties to MRC work that's been done at the site. OR let us know if you can think of a better site. And we're looking for more businesses to be on the app. Jessica will follow up via email.

Businesses give a small discount to customers who come in with a certain number of points. They need to give a code to the user who comes in and wants to use points. For them it's a marketing tool, gets their name out

10:42 AM **MRC Housekeeping**

Sam Whitridge/Tyler Davis

• Marine Program Staff Roles Clarification

Sam is main point of contact for MRC members to disseminate information or get updates, also serving in role as liaison for salmon recovery, maintaining role with SRFB, CAG & TAG. You can text him anytime (depends on project).

Frankie now in project manager role, involved in implementing capital and non-capital projects in alignment with MSA plan. That'll fall under work with MRC, LIO, and SRFB. Also, SRKW efforts, finishing plan update by end of the year.

Tyler and Sam both working on LIO coordination, meetings. Tyler on website management, maintaining member lists, assisting with delivery of contacts, grants reports. In LIO meeting we'll discuss scope and budgeting; Tyler has done a lot on that. General support with other things, coordination and management of volunteer projects

Kendra: but we need de-tether Frankie from the MRC, she's got capital projects she'll need to be moving on that are labor intensive and time consuming. She now picks up all the marine side of Byron's work, retiring on November 3rd. Then we'll be recruiting for an environmental design engineer to serve all three programs, who knows CAD and GIS.

Level: is there an organizational tree for department showing who is in charge of each project?

ACTION ITEM: Kendra can make that chart; and we can send around the staff tree list we already have. That also has MRC members listed who are supposed to be helping with deliverables on each project.

- Staff vs. Committee Member Roles

Sasha: the MRC member role is determined by County "powers of duties" rules and procedures. Some member vs. staff roles can vary by county and by project. (Provides some examples from other counties.)

Karin: I'm interested in another MRC conference and talking to other MRC's about how they do things

Sam: a workshop like that would be helpful, we'll discuss that more when we have more time

- MRC Logo Update

Identified two local artists, shows examples of their work. Sarah Folden enrolled member of the Cowlitz tribe. And Jason LeClair, Lummi and Nooksak, traditional work, did panels at American camp, experienced with developing logos.

Need to pick one and then get 3-5 options to choose from. Tyler shows a few of Sarah's rough sketches for the MRC.

Karin: I want it to have some color

Tyler: we'll provide options at next meeting or the one after for you to choose from

- MRC rep to LIO

It's unwieldy to have the entire group represent, should pick one person who commits to staying for meetings, etc. Kendra is still LIO staff rep, needs to stay. The other could be Sam or Frankie

Frankie: Adam may be a good one to approach since he's from the Port

Matt: I want to upsell the LIO, at our liaison meeting we discussed work we want to do into the future. There's value

Tyler: there were a lot of dedicated bright minds in that meeting, so participation in LIO is a chance to be part of that

- MRC retreat schedule

Consensus is first week of December. Can we investigate booking Brickworks for December 1st?

Karin: I'm willing to help with topics Laura Jo: willing to help with food

Frankie: I'll check with Sasha, in the past there has been budget for sandwiches

11:13 AM **Adjourn MRC Meeting, Convene CAG Meeting**

11:14 AM **SRFB Grant Round Final Updates**

Sam Whitridge

We've submitted the list as presented. It's looking like alternate list of projects could also get some funding.

Sorenson and Neck Point are also likely to get ESRP funding in which case they wouldn't need all the SRFB funding.

We're excited we were able to use all our funds because we had such a strong project list this year.

11:15 AM **Committee Member News and other Business**

Karin reminds everyone about GICU on Sept. 24th, encourages participation - want to see a strong MRC presence.

We want weight but especially pictures we can share on our website and Facebook page. Focus on how we can reuse/repurpose items instead of taking everything to the dump

11:18 AM **Adjourn CAG, Convene LIO Meeting.**

