



San Juan County Lead Entity for Salmon Recovery



SAN JUAN LOCAL INTEGRATING ORGANIZATION

Marine Advisory Committees MRC-CAG-LIO Meeting Agenda

Thursday, August 4, 2022
9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

Microsoft Teams meeting

Join on your computer or mobile app

[Click here to join the meeting](#)

Meeting ID: 259 238 873 827

Passcode: WNJufB

Or call in (audio only)

[+1 360-726-3293,865248973#](tel:+13607263293,865248973) United States, Seattle

Phone Conference ID: 865 248 973#

While this is a virtual meeting, a public meeting place is available at the County Legislative Building, Legislative Hearing Room, at 55 2nd St. in Friday Harbor for those without mobile phone or internet access.

9:00 AM	<p>Convene MRC Meeting – Christina Koons Coast Salish Acknowledgement <i>Let us acknowledge we reside on the ancestral lands and waters of the Coast Salish people who have called this place home since time immemorial and let us honor inherent, aboriginal and treaty rights that has been passed down from generation to generation.</i></p>
9:05 AM	<p>Public Comment</p>
9:10 AM	<p>Approve meeting agenda – All Approve July MRC meeting minutes – MRC Members</p>
9:15 AM	<p>MRC Housekeeping – Tyler Davis</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • Chair and Vice Chair Elections • MRC Reps to NWSC
9:25 AM	<p>NWSC meeting report to the MRC – Phil Green</p>
9:30 AM	<p>Project Updates MRC projects – Frances Robertson/Tyler Davis</p> <ul style="list-style-type: none"> • PFSS – SeaBin and other project updates

	<ul style="list-style-type: none">• False Bay• Vessel Monitoring
9:45 AM	Committee member updates and any other business
9:50 AM	MSA Plan Strategic Action Review – <i>Frances Robertson</i>
11:00 AM	Adjourn MRC Meeting Convene CAG Meeting
11:00 PM	Final Review/Approval of 2022 San Juan County Salmon Recovery Ranked Project List
12:00 PM	Adjourn CAG Meeting



San Juan County Lead Entity for Salmon Recovery



Marine Advisory Committees MRC-CAG Meeting Minutes August 4, 2022

Committee Members in Attendance: Jeff Dyer, Kailey Genter, Phil Green, Christina Koons, Adam Parrott, Lovel Pratt, Karin Roemers-Kleven, Beth Tate

Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public: Alan Chapman, Matthew Colston, Tyler Davis, Kathryn Moore, Frances Robertson, Byron Rot, Kendra Smith, Sam Whitridge

9:10 AM pre-meeting chatter about the recent Navy growler ruling, <https://apnews.com/article/lawsuits-california-navy-environmental-policy-el-centro-6b13c9b8a701c9450688b54a8521ea85>

9:11 AM **Convene Meeting, Coast Salish Acknowledgement** Christina Koons
Let us acknowledge we reside on the ancestral lands and waters of the Coast Salish people who have called this place home since time immemorial and let us honor inherent, aboriginal and treaty rights that have been passed down from generation to generation.

9:12 AM **Public Comment** none

9:13 AM **Approve meeting agenda and July MRC meeting minutes** Christina Koons
No proposed changes to the agenda. Kendra moves to approve July minutes, Christina seconds. Minutes approved.

9:14 AM **NWSC meeting report to the MRC** Christina Koons
September 16 collaborative conservation workshop at Padilla Bay for NWSF and MRC's, salmon lunch, held outside.

There was discussion of derelict vessel removal program. \$1.1 million secured, working with Tribal partners and MRC's to plan vessel removals and to pilot a derelict vessel turn-in program. Lucas Hart explained program details. Lovel: This is a phenomenal one-time funding opportunity. I urge MRC participation, funds must be spent by Jan 2023

Frankie: these are the congressionally directed funds allocated to each MRC approximately \$200K, SJ MRC already approved the use of SJ funds for the removal of pilings at Jackson

Phil: I thought these were different funds that weren't allocated yet, strictly for derelict vessels.

ACTION ITEM: Frankie will clarify with the NW straits commission

Christina: back to the update, our staff/meeting reorganization was mentioned. Cecilia Gobin wants to know how our reorganization benefits our salmon recovery work. Should we put together a small presentation about our system?

Also, Terry Williams has passed, he was a founder of the NW Straits Initiative and promoted Tribal partnership

Next commission meeting is August 26th, Julia Parrish wants to bring back scientist speed-dating
Level: maybe MRC can present to the NW Indian Fisheries Commission, also NW Straits, about what SJ county is doing.

And Terry Williams was instrumental in creating Action oversight group, and active with Tribes in LIO process

Karin: what is the definition of derelict vessel? Any that is in disrepair and at anchor? Or appears derelict in a marina?

Frankie: there are specific criteria, we have details on county website. DNR has their own criteria

Adam: Marina has our own policies on derelict vessels. At anchor look at growth on vessel and line, when last moved.

Q: does county have an ongoing inventory of vessels? And can we use that as a base instead of duplicating the work?

Frankie: yes, we're building a database based on marine patrols we've conducted in cooperation with sheriff's dept. Best is to contact the owners and they resolve. If we're unable to contact then we start prioritizing vessels on the list

Christina: to confirm, list is needed by October? Can that be added to a scope of work for the MRC?

Frankie: first step is to clarify fund (if already allocated to Jackson). Vessel patrols are hard in summer, best after fall

Kendra: Marta has been working on a plan to deal with larger more expensive vessels (like El Capitan)

9:33 AM **MRC Housekeeping**

Tyler Davis

- Chair and Vice Chair Elections

We have 5 positions up for election: chair, vice-chair, rep to NWSC and alternate, and the rep to the LIO. The floor is open for nominations, and opportunity for incumbents to remain in positions. There are technically no term limits.

Phil: I'm alternate to NWSC, also rep to the LIO. This is my last year on MRC, may be a good time to transition in someone else

Karin: I'm happy to continue serving in the role of vice-chair

Phil: as alternate to Christina for NWS, that's attending their monthly meeting and report for the MRC (summary prepared by Frankie and Tyler), then responsible to report back from that meeting to the MRC about NW Straits in general. As far as LIO with new restructuring, all MRC is invited, meetings are shortened. responsibility to prep when discussion of allocating funds.

Kendra: and now that LIO won't have responsibility for those extra funds we're figuring out function, being updated on projects. Diminished involvement in decision-making in contrast with MRC involvement in salmon recovery projects.

Would Karin be willing to serve as NW Straits alternate? Then we can table the role of LIO rep and check in with Matt.

Maybe we can just have a NW straits rep and alternate, now the MRC as a body is the rep to the LIO.

ACTION ITEM: Kendra will circle back with Matt regarding this idea

Still have Christina as chair and first rep to NW Straits, Karin is willing to be vice chair and alternate.

MOTION: Level moves to approve the slate of officers, Phil seconds. All in favor, none opposed. The motion passes

Q: work committee on the logo?

Tyler: Kailey and Tyler met about logo, developed criteria and have designer(s) in mind. If there's input, please let Tyler know

9:46AM **MRC Project Updates –**

Frances Robertson/Tyler Davis

- Plastic Free Salish Sea (PFSS) – SeaBin and other project updates

Issues continue, interesting story to share with broader NWSC - may present something for September workshop

Adam: we ended up thinking with our staff, we could build something like this – it may be easier

Jeff: what sort of maintenance has it received? Was it rinsed and stored properly after last season?

Frankie: it was stored in Sam's barn over-winter, but maybe it needs more attention

Jeff: I like the idea of building a better version, if I can get over there I'd love to take a look and help

Phil: would NW Straits have money to help out with something like this?

ACTION ITEM: Frankie will follow up on that, may not have that much flexibility but it's a good question
More on PFSS: challenges include interaction with the public, brainstorm ways to campaign on social media.
Reach out to beach stewards to rejuvenate that program. Some folks are active, regularly cleaning but not in feedback.

GICU is coming up on September 24th, we had over 200 participants in April, let's eclipse that in September.

- False Bay

Wrapped visitor surveys in July, thanks to all who participated. Sierra will continue ulva study until end of August.

- Vessel Monitoring –

Continues submissions through September, kicking off a series of aerial surveys to assess vessels in county

Question: how funds came up for new hires in recent hiring process? Included new allocated funds for Commission?

Kendra: We were allocated \$40K from the levy lid lift 2 years ago from general fund, and creating staff time with funds we secure from grants for projects. Also, shifted staff time around, gained additional 0.6 in FTE. It will be key to continue getting additional project-based grant funds. County Council has supported salmon recovery grants and usually contribute match allocations, we put county-current money into the system by having projects on the ground

10:04 AM **Committee member updates and any other business**

Karin: Biden administration recently supported breaching of dams. How is this something we can support?

Christina: Can we be more informed about the issue, could a regional expert or local representative talk to the MRC?

Level: I can provide more info. Draft report issued by Murray/Inslee and a NOAA report, I can send out links to those.

Orca protection groups sent in a comment letter about the importance of salmon recovery as food supply. Also, in terms of process, MRC can make a recommendation to the Council but can't take direct action by itself

Karin: it's an opportunity for us to reach out, collaborate. There's momentum and adding our efforts could help

Kendra: it may be worth a letter of support coming from NW Straits, a coalition of folks from around Puget Sound

Karin: maybe we can start by reaching out to Orca/Salmon alliance, ACTION ITEM: I can do that and report back

10:16 AM **MSA Plan Strategic Action Review**

Frances Robertson

Started last December when core threats were discussed, then actions that fell into key criteria. We cross-checked so that MSA strategic actions would encompass other plans. 72 actions came out of this in 10 categories.

There's still work to be done on some actions to make less nebulous, this is an opportunity particularly for the actions not yet underway, give approval if we're going in the right direction. Frankie shares summary table.

Jeff: the marine stewardship area encompasses the whole county and that's recognized by county governance?

Frankie: yes, designated by County council in 2004 and MRC tasked with a plan first drafted in 2007. This is the update of that plan. Aiming to craft something that can be incorporated into County code. We'll work to prioritize this list of actions at our next Marine Managers' Workshop next spring with agency partners.

Jeff: I'm still unclear with how to implement. Like on climate resiliency, how does that go into the comprehensive plan?

Frankie: There's now an Environmental Planner, Brooke Sullivan, who can help guide especially with regulatory actions

Level: on Oil spill prevention, can you point us out to action steps? what's the time frame for us to provide input?

Frankie: direct to the table that includes all actions, kept specific steps deliberately vague. Goal is to have the

entire plan finished and ready for review by end of year. need feedback on strategic actions before meeting in September.

Beth: Looking at the action criteria, I'm wondering what's the benefit of that category? combine some categories?

Frankie: Brooke will help a lot from planning aspect. from MRC members, is there anything else we should consider?

ACTION ITEM: If not today, please look through actions please and send Frankie feedback with track edits

Christina: are there any other counties in NWSC that have gone through this process?

Frankie: Island and Snohomish did a joint plan for a significantly smaller area. Once we have a firmer list of actions this will go out for review from our State/NGO/Tribal partners before implementation next spring.

-some discussion of MRC participation column in the table

10:55 AM short break

11:00 AM **Adjourn MRC, Convene CAG. Final Review/Approval of 2022 Salmon Recovery Ranked Project List**

Sam Whitridge

Sam shares list of projects, highlights ones approved to move forward, project of concern, and those not funded
QUESTIONS

Jeff: how does manipulation of funds work for some smaller projects? Could we have pulled from other sources?

Sam: we were maxed out on funds available this round. There are other funding sources that may be better suited, we try to advise sponsors on other sources. Benefit to salmon makes up a bulk of scoring criteria

- Discussion of large Land Bank acquisition project, communication breakdowns between SJPT and County Council about what's included in PSAR large cap funds. Proposal focused on shoreline parts of parcel but intent for easement on entire property. Land Bank can't use properties purchased for housing; intent for conservation lands.

If MRC funds the North Shore project that takes some pressure off PSAR large cap funds. Tag has approved this expenditure, they felt reassured communication issues around this property would not affect the proposed protection.

Byron: TAG were also in favor of conservation easement on full property due to details of stormwater drainage

Christina: did that mean there wouldn't be facilities built there?

Sam: there has been some discussion of housing conservation corps volunteers but not low-income housing. The plan is for this to be a public access site eventually which would necessitate some services for public access.

MOTION: Jeff moves to approve the SRFB ranked list on behalf of the CAG and to endorse TAG recommendation that North Shore easement be solely for conservation. Kailey seconds. None opposed, Kendra abstains. The motion carries.

Sam will submit this next week. Exciting, strong list of projects, over \$2.2 million invested in salmon recovery.

11:24 AM **Adjourn CAG meeting**