



**SAN JUAN COUNTY
MARINE RESOURCES COMMITTEE &
CITIZEN'S SALMON ADVISORY GROUP**

Thursday, September 2, 2021
8:30 AM-11:00 AM

Virtual Meeting via Zoom,

[Join Zoom Meeting](#)

Meeting ID: 841 1928 9860

Passcode: 951570

Call in number:

+1 253 215 8782 US

Agenda

8:30 AM	Convene MRC Meeting – Christina Koons Coast Salish Acknowledgement <i>We acknowledge the lands we're on today are the ancestral and current homelands of Indigenous Nations who have stewarded them since time immemorial. We respect their sovereignty, support their Treaty rights, their right to self-determination, and we honor their sacred spiritual connection with the land and water. These Indigenous Nations include the Jamestown S'Klallam, Lower Elwha Klallam, Lummi, Makah, Nooksack, Port Gamble S'Klallam, Samish, Stillaguamish, Swinomish, and Tulalip Tribes.</i>
8:45 AM	Public Comment
8:55 AM	Approve August MRC meeting minutes – Christina Koons
9:00 AM	NWSC meeting report to the MRC – Christina Koons
9:10 AM	Presentation/Discussion: Marine Birds of the San Juan Islands– Breck Tyler, Friday Harbor Labs
9:55 AM	MRC Housekeeping <ul style="list-style-type: none">• MRC Retreat Date (<i>Sam Whitridge</i>)<ul style="list-style-type: none">○ Plan for discussion re: County infrastructure improvements (<i>Christina Koons</i>)• County Vaccine Personnel Policy (<i>Sam Whitridge</i>)
9:55 AM	Project updates <ul style="list-style-type: none">• Plastic Free Salish Sea (<i>Karin Roemers-Kleven</i>)• Eelgrass monitoring (<i>Phil Green and Jeff Dyer</i>)• Catch More Crab program (<i>Karin Roemers-Kleven</i>)• MSA update (<i>Sam Whitridge</i>)• Heart of the Salish Sea Project (<i>Sam Whitridge</i>)
10:20 AM	<ul style="list-style-type: none">• Member news and any other business
10:30 AM	Adjourn MRC meeting and Convene CAG meeting – Christina Koons
10:30 AM	CAG updates/business – Sam Whitridge <ul style="list-style-type: none">• Upcoming SRFB Meeting (Sept 22-23)• Salmon Recovery Investments in Infrastructure Bill• Report on meeting with new RCO Director, Megan Duffy• Salmon Recovery Chapter progress update
11:00 AM	Adjourn CAG meeting

Committee Members in Attendance: Carl Davis, Kailey Genter, Patti Gobin, Phil Green, Christina Koons, Lovel Pratt, Karin Roemers-Kleven, Laura Jo Severson, Kendra Smith,

Ex-officio, County support staff and members of the public: Marta Green, Lucas Hart, Kat Moore, Laura Rivas, Frankie Robertson, Breck Tyler, Sam Whitridge

8:32 AM **Convene Meeting, Coast Salish Acknowledgement**

Christina Koons

We acknowledge the lands we're on today are the ancestral and current homelands of Indigenous Nations who have stewarded them since time immemorial. We respect their sovereignty, support their Treaty rights, their right to self-determination, and we honor their sacred spiritual connection with the land and water. These Indigenous Nations include the Jamestown S'Klallam, Lower Elwha Klallam, Lummi, Makah, Nooksack, Port Gamble S'Klallam, Samish, Stillaguamish, Swinomish, and Tulalip Tribes.

8:33 AM **Public Comment**

none

8:34 AM **Approve August MRC meeting minutes**

Christina Koons

Lovel made edits regarding transmountain pipeline expansion project, Sam shares screen to show the edits. MOTION: Phil moves to approve minutes as edited, Carl seconds. All in favor. August minutes are approved.

8:35 AM **NWSC meeting report to the MRC**

Christina Koons

Shoreline master program learning group, Karin interested in serving on the committee, starts in late September. Christina reaching out to folks for the charter review committee, if interested contact her.

NWS conference is virtual, starting on October 13th. All MRC members encouraged to attend,

<https://nwifc.org/publications/state-of-our-watersheds/> - Christina ordered a hard copy for the County.

- Caroline Gibson memorial on October 24th, NW maritime center in PT, hope for a virtual attendance option

Lovel: listened to PSP leadership meeting yesterday, it was recorded, prospects for increased salmon funding

8:43 AM **MRC housekeeping**

Sam Whitridge

• MRC Retreat Date

Sam Whitridge

Lovel: could we meet in person if we could do it outside? Mike's café, Jackson Beach, or Fairgrounds

- November 4th, plan for big open inside space at Fairgrounds for a plan B if weather is too bad for outside

Frankie calls for retreat agenda items for the retreat. Christina, Lovel, Laura glad to help with retreat planning

• County Vaccine Personnel

Sam Whitridge

Kendra: if we meet in person, county staff and volunteers will need to be fully vaccinated by October 31st

• Plan for discussion re: County infrastructure improvements

Christina Koons

Good topic for MRC Retreat. Would be helpful to know what is County's vs. MRC's role in planning?

Kendra: we're looking at outside sources, RCO, grant rounds. Please let us know if you hear of others

Christina: subgroup through NWSC working in legislative process to reinstate earmark that funded MRC's.

Lucas: meeting at Padilla Bay 9/7 with senator Murray's staff, reinstating bill to reauthorize NWSC

Q: would that pay for a full time marine manager position?

A: Depends whether just appropriation goes through or also re-authorization of NWSC, money would probably go through NOAA, it's possible could be used for staff but need to come to an agreement with NOAA

Lovel: sounds like MRC should have 'shovel-ready' projects in case there's additional funding available

9:00 AM **Presentation/Discussion: Marine Birds of the San Juan Islands**

Breck Tyler:

Questions: is there an ongoing population decline in marine birds? Is community composition changing?
Conducted a series of student-based studies: 2005-2020, ship-based transects in SJ channel weekly through fall

Findings: no downward trend in abundance over the decade between 2006-2016. No data shown past 2016 but suspect lower numbers due to the blob in recent years. Species composition: ranking of abundance per year shows that glaucous winged-gull and common murre were the top two species every year. All top 10 are gulls and alcids. Seems like community structure hasn't changed much over last 10 years. Tide use varies by species

QUESTIONS:

Karin: that's the data up to 2016, what about rapid climate change and major changes in environment now?

Breck: if you're interested in those data, contact Jan Newton currently teaching the PEF course.

Kendra: question for Patti, aware of any traditional knowledge/work done around marine birds?

Patti: not directly aware from Tulalip, will check with First Nations colleagues in BC

Carl: is there a lot of interest in Marine Bio program at FHL?

Breck: yes— also a class for undergrads in summer. UW just added a marine biology major

Frankie: are student reports available online? Can they be shared with us/me?

Breck: they are available, contact Mason in the FHL office

Carl: what about tufted puffins, are they in danger what's the status? Historically were there a lot here?

Breck: never abundant in inland waters, mostly breed on open coast rocky areas. We do have an abundant puffin but it's misnamed – it's called rhino auklet and if it were renamed could gain a lot more funding

Phil: tufted puffin was listed at some level as endangered. This is southern extent of its range in inland waters.

Karin: how many of the birds discussed depend on herring?

Breck: Gaydos paper says over 100 birds depend on marine resources, at least 70 could be herring dependent

9:49 AM **Project updates**

• Plastic Free Salish Sea

Karin Roemers-Kleven

Frankie and I joined Seadoc's Heart of the Salish Sea Project, talked with local educators about STEM projects.

Frankie, question for Patti: have there ever been clam gardens in the San Juans?

Patti: yes, need the rocky areas and cool currents around the SJI's. A book called Coast Salish clam gardens.

ACTION ITEM: Patti will connect Frankie with expert on clam gardens

• Seabin

Sam Whitridge

Signage completed, Kendra has it. R.P. Oates picked up Seabin for service. It's ready for a new marina.

Frankie: plan to connect with Tony with IOSA to see if we can partner with them on collecting and supplying it with the correct oil pads. Want to put it in port of FH or Roche next summer. requires maintenance, R.P. has been a fantastic volunteer for regular weekly maintenance. We'll need a dedicated volunteer or team here on SJI.

Question: have we done any public relations about the Seabin?

Sam: Angela drafted a press release, it's still under review. The signage will help a lot.

• Eelgrass monitoring

Phil Green

Phil: I've been out to Bell Point 5 times total, a few in July. We're going to wrap up after Labor Day weekend.

Christina: I've been watching at Orcas, a lot of rafting up and dinghies

Phil: unfortunately, the app isn't going to be rolled out, I was expecting it in early July

Christina: I've been downloading the paper forms and attaching the photos to an email

Frankie: Just send them to me at MRC, that's what Jeff does

Karin: is anyone monitoring other eelgrass?

Phil: Drew Harvell monitoring around False Bay and 4th of July beach

- Catch More Crab program

Karin Roemers-Kleven

Talked to contacts at King's market, they're willing to put flyer out as people buy licenses. We have no way of measuring success of that. Crab fishing continues Thursday-Monday until Sept. 30th.

- MSA update

Frankie Robertson

Hope to send drafts on number of chapters by end of the month, also a chapter on protected and management areas that includes links to maps. Aim is to be useful to managers but also for landowners when they're putting together plans for shorelines. Need to prioritize issues like shoreline armoring which have increased. Need to look at issues like increased vessel traffic in the context of climate change.

- Growler Jet noise symposium

Christina Koons

Our MRC team was invited to visit Naval air station on Whidbey Island to meet with their scientists. That'll happen after covid when it feels safe to gather, want to encourage relationship - let's keep this invitation in the minutes.

Patti: if I can help with the Navy let me know. When Tribe is at the table can say some things that have an impact.

Christina: I'll send them a letter reminding of invitation and that we'd like to follow through in future

9:48 AM **Member news and any other business**

Carl: I went to Alaska, 3K miles 109 days, boating around southeast. I'll put together videos and photos.

Lovel: I forwarded an email with comment opportunity on a draft scope of work on an Ecology study to examine effectiveness of an additional response towing vessel, comment period ends September 30th. Does MRC want to suggest comments for the council? Christina, Carl, Jeff on oil spill subcommittee may have thoughts. ESHB 1578:

<http://lawfilesexternal.wa.gov/biennium/2019-20/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/House/1578-S.SL.pdf?q=20210902083312>

ACTION ITEM: Lovel will send out doodle poll to suggest times for the subcommittee to meet to discuss support

Phil: FYI – I'm going in for ankle replacement surgery October 1st, won't be able to put weight on it

Frankie: we have two positions open on the MRC, I suggest R.P. Oates (history as a kayak guide)

Please spread the word to other folks with skills, knowledge and time available to offer

Jeff F. and Cathleen resigned from MRC. We still have Ivan from Pacific Whale watch association.

We don't have anyone from fishing, recreational or commercial, or ports and marinas.

ACTION ITEM: form a subcommittee to discuss new membership. Frankie & Christina to meet in October

10:35 AM **Adjourn MRC meeting and Convene CAG meeting**

Christina Koons

10:35 AM **CAG business**

Sam Whitridge

Action item: earlier this week Sam sent out request for funding Salmon Point restoration project on Lopez from Friends of San Juan, going into construction this coming Tuesday Sept. 7. Need \$9,300 advance from

SRFB. If we approve this today, funds can be added next week. Megan, Jeff, and Kailey already replied with approval

MOTION: Phil moves we move forward to approve funding, Karin seconds. All in favor, the motion passes
Laura: the PSP letter of support is already drafted for Carrie (PSAR lead) to sign and send over

- Upcoming SRFB Meeting (Sept 22-23)

Sam plans to attend, this is where projects from 2021 grant round will get approval (including MacArdle Bay)

- Salmon Recovery Investments in Infrastructure Bill

Recently passed bill included major funding wins for salmon recovery and ecosystem restoration projects.

- Report on meeting with new RCO (State Recreation and Conservation Office) Director, Megan Duffy

This is a critical juncture for salmon recovery in WA, influx of federal dollars plus support from Governor.

- Salmon Recovery Chapter progress update

We have a first draft. Committee meeting next week for first round of edits then distributing document out to more stakeholders toward later Sept/early October for review.

- Updates from the PSP

Laura Rivas

Puget Sound ecosystem monitoring program has a newsletter. shares links from IPCC atlas, fun things like rockfish kids' book, resources, job opportunities and events. sign up to receive the PSEMP newsletter here, https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/WAPSP/subscriber/new?topic_id=WAPSP_113

- LIO's are collectively working in coming year on issue of unpermitted and under-permitted shoreline armoring. Drawing on data generated by Tina and funded by SJ LIO. Gaining traction – if you hear of anything on this issue, please pass it along to Laura. Laura leading but it's a collaboration among LIO coordinators

- working on action agenda updates for 2022-26, phase 4 – strategies to actions. Local partners invited to participate between Oct-Nov in workshops, targeted topics. Please consider joining

- we sent out a call on NTA (near term actions), project owners are encouraged to report – even if no progress. Pacific NW citizen science summit by Friends of WA state invasive species council, both October 26-27, 9am-noon

<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpnwcitsci.org%2F&data=04%7C01%7C1aura.rivas%40psp.wa.gov%7C5005756b9cb340e7736208d96d638009%7C11d0e217264e400a8ba057dcc127d72d%7C0%7C0%7C637661096395418258%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzliLCJBTiI6IjEkaWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=gBuXd%2BBQDgQAKMlwM8hKqn32gjaAVwMbe004NnQc5vQ%3D&reserved=0>

Kat: McArdle Bay will be one of three projects highlighted for the board, all are acquisitions

Other issues: looking at a riparian planting requirement based on recommendations from WDFW, adding in a buffer requirement (mainly on rivers/streams but also for marine areas). A couple of projects looking at for next year are acquisitions of uplands – that's been an issue in the past of how much are non-salmon focused and how we define where riparian benefit ends, those will be topics for next year as well as riparian planting costs

11:00 AM **Adjourn CAG meeting**